Yellow-Headed Picathartes Bird Watching Guided Day Tour from Accra
Led by an experienced birding guide, your excursion will bring you to remote villages and allow you to see one of the biggest ornithological attractions in Ghana, the spectacular yellow-headed picathartes, one of Africa’s most unusual birds. Found in the Upper Guinea Forest, you will trek uphill along a foot path through a lush green humid forest.The birds typically come to roost late afternoon in an area with about 30 mud-cupped nests. The chances of seeing the birds are almost certain throughout the year.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water 1.5 liters
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- You will meet your expert guide at noon and he will provide you briefing on what to expert. you will then drive to the site, which will take between three to four hours, most of it on asphalt road, however as you get closer to the site you pass through smaller towns and villages on mostly dirt roads. Once you arrive at the trail head, you will continue trekking on dirt road and bush foot paths in the wilderness of a lush tropical forest.
The picathartes, also called the white-necked rockfowl, is labeled as vulnerable in terms of conservation status, due to deforestation of their small areas of habitat. They move through the forest primarily through a series of hops and and longer jumps or short flights in low vegetation. They rarely fly long distances. The birds have been known to make high jumps, sometimes jumping 20 feet (6 m) from the ground with only minimal wing use. During your day you will enjoy a local dinner.
Rockfowl are monogamous and build the nests from mud formed into a deep cup. The nests are typically built on rocky surfaces, usually in caves. Your sighting will be in the early pm and you will depart back to your base in the evening, not too long after sunset .
Departure Point :Your hotel in Accra, Elmina or Kumasi
Departure Time :12:00pm
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- You need to be fit and generally be in good health to trek on foot to the birding sites
- Minimum age is 14 years
- Wear light clothes, a hat, bring along any insect repellent
- The trip is for dedicated birders and all efforts are made to get the best views for your visit
- You will be trekking through remote villages and will meet locals along the way; you must be friendly towards the local people
- Photographs of people must be taken only with their permission
- Please do respect and obey the rules and regulations
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.