World's Oldest Port Wine Cellar & Food Tour
The 'other side of the river' is something heard every day in Porto, especially among locals. But likely few visitors know what lays beyond the wine caves along the riverside.
On this tour, we showcase a non-touristy area full of homemade cuisine and alive with local culture. We'll walk through the winding, narrow streets of Gaia, visit the oldest winery in Portugal founded by King Joseph I and the Marques of Pombal, and discover both “classic” Porto food, such as the francesinha, as well as local secrets like alheira. Each tasting will be paired with local wine or beer.
While enjoying the stroll and tastings, you will learn about both Portuguese and regional history, not only from our guide but from the locals that adore to talk and share their experiences, all the while getting the best views over the city of Porto.
Don't Miss - when visiting the oldest winery in Portugal you'll get to enter a secret wine cave with aging bottles of port wine that are hundreds of years old.
per adult from
What's included :
- 13 food and drink tastings at 6 different eateries
- Port Wine Tasting in the oldest Port Wine Cellar
- Wine, beer and water
- Local english speaking guide
What's excluded :
- Gratuities / Tips for guides
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Email us or add note to advise of any dietary requirements such as vegetarian and gluten-free diets
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Public Garden-Vila Nova de Milfontes, Vila Nova de Milfontes Portugal
Learn about Gaia at our meeting point and get the best viewpoint of the city.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Trigo Doce, Av. da República 383, 4430-175 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Get a taste of the Pastry 'culture' of Portugal!
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Real Companhia Velha, 4431-952, R. Azevedo Magalhães 314, 4431-952 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Tour the oldest port wine cave in Portugal!
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Rua Luís de Camões, R. Luís de Camões, 4430-999 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Learn the history of Alheira - and of course get a taste!
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Rua Cândido dos Reis, R. Cândido dos Reis, 4430-999 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Learn the story of this unusual eatery and taste a local traditional fish, vendor, bacalhau.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: R. Guilherme Gomes Fernandes 42, 4400-266 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
View some amazing street art while strolling the city.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Rua Guilherme Gomes Fernandes, R. Guilherme Gomes Fernandes, Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Taste the most famous dish of Porto - the Francesinha - and learn how it is prepared!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Mercado Beira-Rio, Av. de Ramos Pinto 148, 4400-261 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
End the tour at this local indoor market.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Garden of Morro, Av. da República, 4430-148 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Douro River
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- You must be 18+ to drink alcoholic beverages on the tour
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- We and our food partners will adhere to all local regulations. Please follow these local regulations as requirements (for example, mask wearing inside vs outside public spaces) may vary.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.