Whitney Plantation, Museum of Slavery and St. Joseph Plantation Tour
This is a small narrated group tour by van. At Whitney Plantation's Louisiana Museum of Slavery, see the harsh realities and raw historical facts of a dark side of American history. The slave narratives and artwork recreate the world of a pre-Civil War southern sugar plantation and memorial in honor of the lives of the enslaved people who toiled there. A short ride through sugar cane fields leads to St. Joseph Plantation, a Creole style family-owned working sugar cane plantation. Family members give a relaxed, intimate tour of their ancestral home and dependencies (including original slave cabins).
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off, with exact pick up time provided
- Live commentary on board
- Professional Driver/guide (additional fee for foreign language bilingual guide)
- Entry/Admission - Whitney Plantation
- Entry/Admission - St. Joseph Plantation
What's excluded :
- This tour does NOT include a meal, Snacks and drinks available for purchase
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans, LA
This is an off-the-beaten path, away from large tourist crowds, small group tour. A 14 passenger tour van and excellent driver/guide pick you up at your New Orleans hotel and narrate the scenic 90-minute drive out of New Orleans.
Ride along the shores of Lake Pontchartrain and prepare for a pilgrimage back in time to the Antebellum South. There will be a scenic crossing of the Mississippi River on a high suspended bridge. Then you'll take a short ride upriver to Whitney Plantation's Louisiana Museum of Slavery.
Stop At: Whitney Plantation, 5099 Highway 18, Wallace, LA 70049-2803
Recently opened to the public, it exposes the harsh realities and raw historical facts of this dark side of American history. On your self-guided walking tour, you will see slave cabins, a freedmen’s church, detached kitchen and a 1790s owner’s house. Guests will use their own cell phones to access a special Whitney Tour App. All ticket confirmations will include a link to download it. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own headphones for sanitary safety.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: St. Joseph Plantation, 3535 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090-7073
A short ride through sugar cane fields brings you to St. Joseph Plantation, a Creole style, family-owned working sugar cane plantation since 1877. The one-hour tour gives you a fascinating glimpse into the lives of the many interesting people who have called this plantation 'home.' Many tours are guided by family members themselves. It is a relaxed, intimate visit to an ancestral home, grounds, and dependencies (including original slave cabins). The movie 12 Years A Slave was filmed there. Driving back to your New Orleans hotel takes 90 minutes. Lunch is not included but snacks and drinks can be purchased at both gift shops.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please specify hotel at time of purchase. We pick up in New Orleans at any hotel, Bed & Breakfast or select Airbnbs, uptown (close to St. Charles Ave.), in (or close to) the French Quarter, and on the Westbank.We do not pick up by the airport, in New Orleans East, in Slidell, or on the North Shore.Supplier will contact you the day before your tour to give you an exact pick up time.
Departure Time :11:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide - extra fee for language other than English applies
- On Tuesdays, Whitney Plantation is closed and replaced by Evergreen or Laura Plantation
- On Wednesdays, St Joseph Plantation is closed and replaced by Evergreen or Laura Plantation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Our tour vans are thoroughly cleaned after each tour, all door handles and interior surfaces wiped down with alcohol-based disinfectant daily. Our driver-guides wear masks and disposable masks are provided to guests upon request.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.