Wells, Cheddar Cheese and Cheddar Gorge - Private Day Trip from Bristol
This private day trip is a great way to experience some of the must-see attractions near Bristol. Visit Wells, England's smallest city, and see its magnificent cathedral, buy lunch at a traditional pub and sample Cheddar cheese at its origin. Beyond cuisine and culture, your private adventure includes a scenic jaunt through England's largest and most scenic gorge.
• Visit England's smallest city, Wells, and see the world's 2nd oldest working clock
• See Europe's oldest residential street
• Try authentic Cheddar cheese at a cheese factory in the area where Cheddar cheese was originally invented
• Enjoy the spectacular scenery of England's largest gorge
• Travel comfortably by private transportation with a local guide
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private tour with local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Admission into Wells Cathedral and the Cheddar Cheese Factory
- Entry/Admission - Wells Cathedral
- Entry/Admission - The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company
What's excluded :
- Lunch and refreshments
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Bristol, Bristol, England
Your guide will collect you from your hotel in Bristol and drive you to the charming cathedral city of Wells.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Wells, Wells, Somerset, England
You will have a private walking tour of the historic city of Wells. Some of the places visited are listed below.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Wells Market Place, Wells England
The market place is the hub of the city. If you are visiting on a Wednesday or Sunday you will be able to experience the local market that takes place here every week. Fans of the cult film "Hot Fuzz" may recognise their surroundings as the market place featured a number of times in this film.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Wells Cathedral Cathedral Green, Wells BA5 2UE England
You will visit the magnificent 13th Century Wells Cathedral. Its beautiful interior has a number of unique features including the world's second oldest working clock.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vicar's Close Street, Wells BA5 2 England
The picturesque Vicar's Close in Wells is the oldest residential street in Europe.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Cheddar, Cheddar, Somerset, England
After lunch at an English pub you will be driven to Cheddar, the birth-place of the famous Cheddar cheese.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company, The Cliffs Cheddar Gorge, Cheddar BS27 3QA England
Today there is only one small cheese factory in the Cheddar area that still produces traditional Cheddar cheese. You will visit this to get an insight into how the cheese is made. If you are lucky you may even see it being made whilst you are there.
At the end of the visit you will have the chance to taste different varieties of the cheese they produce, including a cheese which is matured in the local caves. Should you wish there will be an opportunity to purchase cheese as souvenirs or to enjoy on the rest of your holiday.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Cheddar Gorge, Cheddar BS27 3QE England
The spectacular Cheddar Gorge is England's largest gorge. Driving through the gorge you will have the opportunity to stop and walk up to your guide's favourite viewpoint on the gorge. You will be rewarded with fantastic panoramic views over the gorge and the surrounding area. This walk does involve a steep 15 minute ascent on an uneven path which can get muddy when there has been rain so this stop is optional as it may not be suitable for everyone.
At the end of the tour you will be driven back to Bristol.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
If your Bristol accommodation is not listed or you prefer to be picked up in a central location in Bristol instead of a hotel please send details of the location.
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Face masks are required inside the vehicle when we are driving (disposable masks will be provided if needed). Bath Insider Tours has been awarded the "We're Good to Go" certification by the National Tourism Board of England to recognise it is following government and industry COVID-19 guidelines.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.