Weligama Coast - Day Tour
Weligama meaning ‘Sandy Village’ is an interesting blend of lively fishing town and beach .Postcard perfect beaches, gently breaking waves and a kaleidoscopic underwater landscape sprinkled with historic wrecks, Sri Lanka’s southern coastline does not lack for magnetic charms. Away from this idyllic coastline, explore Sri Lanka’s lush rural hinterland of sleepy villages, paddy fields, meandering lagoons and ancient temples. The city of Weligama had suffered several natural disasters in the past but it still managed to emerge into a popular tourist destination among both national and international tourism.
• Enjoy personalized attention on a private tour
• Hassle-free hotel pickup and drop-offs
• Travel comfortably in an air-conditioned vehicle with a travel guide driver
• Experience the Coastal village vibe
per adult from
10 to 12 minutes
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel Pickup and Drop Off
- Private transportation
What's excluded :
- Restroom on board
- WiFi on board
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Weligama Beach, Matara Sri Lanka
The sprawling main settlement and coastal road is somewhat scruffy and not that easy on the eye, but you'll find the sandy beach is attractive once you're away from the main section; there's a couple of cove beaches west of the center. If you're looking for a place away from the hustle and bustle of Mirissa and the main Weligama beach area go to this beautiful quiet spot and enjoy the peace, swimming, surfing and beds to lay on Weligama beach with a wide bay, the water is warm and clear, the beach is broad and welcoming The town and the fisherman are all nearby, the beach can suffer mild pollution at times, and sand fly’s on the beach, take special care of any cuts after a period of heavy rain.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Handunugoda Tea Estate, Handunugoda Rd, Ahangama, Sri Lanka
Enjoy having a walk around the plantation and seeing how the process of the tea making takes place. Among the foothills of Ahangama rises the famous Virgin White Tea Factory, Handunugoda. Free guided tour and then buy some tea at the shop. You also learn about the Virgin White Tea which this estate is famous for. In addition to the Signature Virgin White, the factory is also known for other award-winning teas such as Ceylon Souchong, Saphire Oolong, and Flowery Cammellia. The teas are exclusively created and handmade by the sole proprietor Herman Gunaratne. The estate is so beautiful, besides the tea we saw rubber tree, pepper plant. A great experience- lot to see and learn, so nice breathing fresh air and walking in the lush plantation.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Kushta Raja Gala, Matara Sri Lanka
This more than life size relief carved in solid rock is thought to be one of the best statues in the Mahayanist Buddhism in Sri Lanka. The origination of this sculpture is not known but many theories and folklore exists on the creation of the statue. Once a foreign king suffering from a severe skin disease (‘kushta” in Singhalese) has landed in the Weligama bay and was treated by a local doctor. This king was restored to his original strength and to remember him a image of him was carved and this was known to be “Kushta Raja Gala” or Rock of the Kushta King. Believed to be once a part of the ancient Aggrabodhi Viharaya, the temple still retains its ancient charm despite being left to the effects of nature.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Taprobane Island, Sri Lanka
It is a tiny island, nearly two and a half acres and has one, single villa made in the 1920s! The island, with its neo palladian mansion, has played host to kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers, aristocracy, writers and eccentrics, giving it a very colorful history, which guests can now share.Even though the island is small, there are many activities one can take partake. Since the island is located 150 meters from the coast, the only way to reach here is by surfing or by boat, if you do not know how to swim. The height of the water is also quite low, reaching about 4 to 5 feet in height, at most.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up all travelers from Colombo and Negombo areaAirports
- Bandaranayake Intl Airport, Colombo Sri Lanka
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.