Walking Tour on Dark Side of Hong Kong
When you visit Hong Kong, you are encouraged to visit the glamorous side of the city – The Peak, Victoria Harbor and all. Nether your travel research nor the Hong Kong Tourism Board would tell you we have a poverty rate of 20%, or 1.5 million, making Hong Kong more unfair than Colombia and Rwanda.
This is not just a number, however. It makes up of real people who serve you everyday as a tourist, they live in cage houses and coffin houses without sharing the economy success from the world-renowned financial center.
This tour is about understanding HK capitalistic system and visiting the poor district including a sub-divided unit. We hope you could reflect upon the problems we face in Hong Kong, and bring these with you when you visit the glamorous Victoria Harbor again.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Entry/Admission - Hong Kong Free Tours
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hong Kong Free Tours, Admiralty MTR Station, Hong Kong China
Firstly you will meet your guide at the Mong Kok MTR station Exit B3 (outside the station), then set off on your 3-hours walking tour in Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po area of Hong Kong. The time will be allocated into the following sties and topics:
The first 1-hour of the walking tour focuses on several local markets in Mong Kok and Prince Edward area. Specifically:
1. The Goldfish Market - How does the real estate market transforms the goldfish market and where to look for the exotic animals?
2. The Flower Market - Why is the flower market located in Kowloon?
The next 2-hour of the tour focuses on the housing crisis in Hong Kong. Specifically:
1. Boundary Street Sport Centre - How bad is the housing crisis in Hong Kong? How much an average apartment costs in Hong Kong and how many years an average worker needs to purchase an apartment in Hong Kong?
2. Portland Street & Tenement House - How did Hong Kong government maintains its status quo to be one of the most capitalistic cities in the world? How much the Hong Kong government relies on the housing market?
3. Sub-divided Housing - We rented a subdivided unit for you to have a peek of what is going on inside a sample unit...
3. Lui Seng Chun - Tasting of Chinese Herbal Tea
4. Tung Chau Street: The poverty line in Hong Kong and the size of the poverty population. Where does the government draws the poverty line in a wealthy place like Hong Kong?
The tour finishes at Sham Shui Po market at which point the guide will point out the nearest MTR station. The guests may want to walk around the Sham Shui Po market to see the day to day life of a local market. The guide will stay behind to answer any questions or help you to plan your trip.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :MTR Mong Kok Station, Mong Kok, Hong Kong
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :Sham Shui Po Station, Hong Kong
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.