Walking tour in Lisbon and old tram ride
Walking the streets of Lisbon is definitely the way to explore its magical corners. We start at Baixa Pombalina, in the three most central squares: Praça do Comercio, Rossio and Praça da Figueira. Then we will climb the streets and alleyways of Alfama, the oldest district of Lisbon, the birthplace of Fado. From there we will arrive at the top of S. Jorge Castle and at the Portas do Sol viewpoint. The route continues through the Se Cathedral and the church of Santo Antonio, patron of the city.
A stay in Lisbon wouldn’t be complete without a ride on tram 28. We will get on board heading to Chiado, through sloping narrow streets always at full gas. The next stop is the Sao Pedro de Alcantara viewpoint, a must for photography.
Chiado, cosmopolitan and bohemian, is the busiest neighborhood in the city. Here you’l see old cafes like the “Brasileira” or internationally famous restaurants like “Belcanto”
per adult from
3 to 4 hours
What's included :
- Certified professional driver-guide
- Tram tickets
- All taxes included
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees
- Clients meals
- Entry/Admission - Alfama
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores, Baixa, Rossio & Restauradores, Lisbon, Lisbon District, Central Portugal
This is the central district of the city, the heart of Lisbon, “Baixa Pombalina”, so named because it was rebuilt after the great earthquake of 1755 under the direction of the Marquis de Pombal, Prime Minister of the king at the time. This area distinguishes itself from the rest of the city due to the geometrical plan of the streets (parallel and perpendicular) and by the three monumental squares named, Comércio, Rossio and Figueira. The Arch of Rua Augusta is the Portuguese Arch of Triumph, embedded with the statues of some of the greatest national heroes and symbolic representations of the two major Portuguese rivers: the Tagus and the Douro. The train station of Rossio, a masterpiece of the “neo-manuelino” style of architecture from the 19th century and the “Santa Justa” Elevator/Lift, designed by Raul Mesnier de Ponsard, a student of the great iron craftsman Gustave Eiffel, are two monuments you cannot miss.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Alfama, Lisbon Portugal
The oldest quarter of Lisbon dates back to the time of the Moors. They lived here from the 8th to 12th centuries. Their legacy is still very much present even in the 21st century. The importance of their culture influenced the future kingdom of Portugal. Examples of this, are the monuments left behind, namely the Castle of São Jorge and the traditional houses covered with beautiful Arabian tiles. The panoramic views from the famous “miradouros” of “Portas do Sol” and of “Castelo de São Jorge” (optional) shouldn’t be missed by visitors. Two other places of reference are, the Lisbon Cathedral (12th century) and the Church of St. Anthony (built on the site where he was born).
Tram number 28:
From Alfama to Chiado the route is done by Tram car, passing through the narrow streets of Alfama, crossing the heart of downtown and ascending the hilly streets of Bairro Alto.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bairro Alto, Lisbon 1200-109 Portugal
“Bairro Alto”, is located in one of Lisbon’s seven hills. It was built during the reign of King Manuel I at the beginning of the 16th century. Structurally, nothing has changed since then, the houses, and the narrow alleys are still the same. Walking through these canted streets, we are sent back to the era of the great Portuguese Explorers. The overview of “São Pedro de Alcantara” is a must stop for photographs.
The bohemian quarter of Chiado is one of the busiest in Lisbon. The streets, “Rua do Carmo” and “Rua Garrett” are a constant whirlwind of people who frequent this area of the city, attracted to the shops, cafés, restaurants, theaters and the Opera House. The famous Café “A Brasileira” has been a regular meeting place for artists, writers and important politicians in the history of Portugal. It’s a must stop for photos ( statue of the poet and writer Fernando Pessoa).
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Arco da Rua Augusta, R. Augusta 2, 1100-053 Lisboa, Portugal
Traveler pickup is offered
Your assigned guide will carry a sign with the group leaders name on.Ports
- Lisbon Cruise Port - Jardim do Tabaco Quay, Doca Jardim do Tabaco Terminal de Cruzeiros de Lisboa, Av. Infante Dom Henrique, 1100-651 Lisboa, Portugal
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Premiere Tours complies with the new SAFETY standards in accordance with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health of Portugal, providing protective masks and hand sanitizing products to our guides and our valued customers.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.