Walk Through Udawatta Kele Sanctuary with Guide
The 104 hectare Udawattekele Forest Reserve in Kandy has an interesting history behind it. Historical records state that the caves within the forest were used by monks as dwellings for millennia.
per adult from
What's included :
- Entrance tickets for Udawatte kele.
- Experienced naturalist(s). (For 8 and above we provide 2 naturalists).
- Refreshments with energy slabs.
- Entry/Admission - Udawattekele Sanctuary
What's excluded :
- Hotel Pick Up and Drop Off.
- Food and Beverages.
- Personal Expenses.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Udawattekele Sanctuary, Lovers Walk, Kandy 20000 Sri Lanka
You will be starting your tour at 6:30 am from the entrance of Udawattakele Sanctuary. After getting the tickets your naturalist guide will take you on an interesting trail through the forest. You will be stopping periodically to rest and refresh yourselves.
The 104 hectare Udawattekele Forest Reserve in Kandy has an interesting history behind it. Historical records state that the caves within the forest were used by monks as dwellings for millennia. Your naturalist might take you for a visit to some of these dwellings.
Later during the Kandyan kingdom, the forest was beautifully maintained with wide avenues for taking walks and was used as a pleasure garden reserved for the Royal Family. As such, the forest was forbidden for all except these family members and those who received a special invitations from them.
Duration: 6 hours
Pass By: Udawattekele Sanctuary, Lovers Walk, Kandy 20000 Sri Lanka
With the arrival of colonials, this use of the forest stopped, though the British used it for long walks. You will notice this by some of the overgrown stone walkways with names like Lady McCarthy's Drive, Lady Torrington's Road, Lady Gordon's Road, Russell Path, and Byrde Lane.
As you go deeper you will find much rare flora and fauna, especially a large number of birds. A survey in 2013 identified 58 tree species, 61 shrubs and small trees, 31 indigenous herbs - of which 12 are orchids, and 57 types of lianas, creepers, and vines; many of which are endemic. Amongst the fauna is 80 birds; including endemic birds such as Layard's parakeet, Yellow-fronted barbet, and the Brown-capped babbler and rare birds such as the three-toed kingfisher. There are also several mammals, reptiles, amphibians and butterflies that you may see. Your naturalist will help you identify them and explain their specific characteristics.
Departure Point :Udawatta Kele Sanctuary, Kandy, Sri Lanka
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.