Waipoua Forest: Twilight Encounter - Maori Cultural Eco Night Tour
Footprints Waipoua is 1 of only 2 New Zealand and 82 Global Lonely Planet Code Green Experiences of a Lifetime. Join a friendly local Maori guide for your journey into the rich and ancient ecosystem of Wapioua Forest and you will learn about the indigenous use of plants and be amazed at the life cycle of a kauri giant. Let your senses experience what it truly feels like to be insignificant in that moment. Drown yourself in the thought-provoking information, humorous banter, stories and legends and be hauntingly mesmerised by the spine-tingling chants and song. Join the world famous night tour for a spiritual awakening. Witness the transition of time and space as the sun sets on an ancient theatre. Seize the memories of these timeless treasures.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within the Opononi/Omapere area
- Local taxes
- Use of a torch.
- Access to insect repellant but we encourage you to bring your own eliminating potential reactions.
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Waipoua Forest, Waipoua Forest, Northland Region, North Island
Setting out from Omapere by coach, the 20 minute journey is the perfect opportunity for your local Māori guide to connect you with your fellow passengers and brief you on the protocols for your visit to the largest remaining stand of kauri in New Zealand, the mighty Waipoua Forest.
Before stepping into the domain of Tāne Mahuta (the god of the forest) your guide will conduct a brief karakia (prayer) ensuring that the evening is both enjoyable and safe. On the gentle paths that slowly wind their way through this ancient theatre you will come face to face with giant kauri trees that superseded both the arrival of Kupe, NZ’s first discoverer a thousand years earlier and the birth of Jesus Christ.
Experience the affinity that Māori have with the forest and the deep spiritual respect they have for these sentinels who have stood silently witnessing the passing of time. Your guide will share thought-provoking information, humorous banter, stories and legends before respectfully greeting the oldest and largest known kauri trees in the world with spine-tingling chants and song. Witness the day transition to night and by default let your senses become hauntingly enhanced.
You will learn how Māori used plants for medicinal purposes and the life-cycle of a giant. The seed to mature tree journey is a curious process of luck and tenacity. As the sun sets the nocturnal creatures begin to go about their work. Should the gods look favourably down upon us you may encounter insects like weta, our two nocturnal birds (the kiwi and the native owl) or the magnificent but slightly chilling giant carnivorous 'kauri' snail. Deep in the forest waits the stately Te Matua Ngāhere - 'The Father of the Forest', who at 3,000 years is the oldest giant; Your guide will greet this primordial presence like an old friend and before leaving you will enjoy a few moments of silence to reflect
Your tour will conclude with a visit to a national icon and the largest giant, Tāne Mahuta. A short stroll later and in keeping with the evening’s theme your guide will formally acknowledge the Lord of the Forest. Suddenly you stand dwarfed before a 2000 year old silhouette; his ancient limbs seem to grasp at the blanket of stars. Sit or stand in admiration as your guide shares the Māori creation story. Final words and song are offered before the curtain is drawn on an experience of a lifetime and you are ushered back to your accommodation in the Hokianga. Just like these giant kauri trees the memories you seize are timeless treasures.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Copthorne Hotel and Resort Hokianga, State Highway 12 Omapere, Hokianga 0444, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
We conduct a free pick-up and drop-off service from other accommodation providers located in the Omapere and Opononi townships. Pick ups from outside of these areas may be possible but include a charge. Please enquire/check at the time of booking.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- A minimum of 4 people per tour is required to operate.
- Free pick ups are conducted within the townships of Omapere and Opononi. Pickups start from 30 minutes before the tour departs. Enquire to see if pickups outside these areas are possible.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for children under 5 years of age.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.