Vézelay Culinary and History Tour
Uncover the secrets of this ancient village and discover why it is the home of two UNESCO World Heritage sites, and registered as one of the Most Beautiful Villages in France. Known as The Eternal Hill, recorded history of Vézelay begins in the 9th Century. Discover the little-known treasures tucked away in alleys, explore 12th Century arched gateways and hidden caves while marveling at Romanesque architecture and visiting specialty food shops to sample locally made Burgundian specialties. Your savvy guide will explain the history and the evolution of this fairy-tale-like village, including the architecture and iconography of the sculptures of the famous Basilica. As you walk, you'll learn the history of this still ancient village and the illustrious characters who have visited.
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Food tasting
- Wine tasting
- All activities
- Local guide
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- The listed price does not include a 4-8 Euro parking fee, payable at the parking stations around the village.
- We will meet promptly at the agreed upon time - 10:00, 14:00 or 16:00 in front of the Office of Tourism. The tourism office is located on the main street, a short walk up the hill, on the right side (12 Rue Saint-Etienne, 89450 Vézelay)
After introductions, as you try a special local pastry, we will begin our adventure! Walking up the 'Eternal Hill' you will be able to uncover the hidden Romanesque architecture, discover shadowed caves under the stone walls of the village houses. We stop for a wine tasting at Au Tastevin where you will have the opportunity to taste a variety of locally made wines of Vézelay. We continue our walk through back alleys, to a part of Vézelay rarely seen by tourists. Around the Basilica your local guide will explain the different architectural styles and the long history of this medieval structure. We continue on to the ramparts of the city where you will see grapevines clinging to the hill and the fortifications that made this village impenetrable to invaders.
In this 2-hour tour you will taste locally made specialties from the region including pastries, cheeses and wines.
Departure Point :In front of the Office de Tourisme in Vézelay12 Rue Saint-Etienne, 89450 Vézelay
Departure Time :This 2-hour tour departs at 10:00, 14:00 or 16:00
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.