Visit the Zipaquirá Cathedral
For a long time, the indigenous people obtained salt from Zipaquirá.
This material allowed them to exchange for gold, food, feathers, etc. This trade changed the world of the natives and gave them access to many riches, which attracted the first Spaniards to settle.
With the arrival of the XIX century, came the method of extraction of salt by means of machines. The miners have always been very devoted so they had a space to pray. Then this space expanded. In 1995 the underground cathedral reopened its doors with many more spaces, sculpture and monumentality. Now it is recognized as the "first wonder of Colombia". Learn about the Colombian culture, also of the native inhabitants and visit this monument that is one of the most important in the country, it also tastes delicious typical food.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- Snacks - Sweets from different regions of Colombia
- Entrance to the Zipaquirá Cathedral and audio guide
- Entry/Admission - Catedral de Sal de Zipaquira
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Catedral de Sal de Zipaquira, Carrera 6 Calle 1 Parque De La Sal, Zipaquira Colombia
The Salt Cathedral is one of the most important architectural works in Colombia. It is a tribute of the miners to the Virgin and to God.
Initially they had an area to pray in their excavations, then it was expanded and sites were built to pray. It was until 1995, the year the new Cathedral was opened. It is built inside a mountain, it is all underground and represents the appreciation of the miners of each station of the viacrusis and the magnificence of God: It also has a very impressive and unique interior dome, sculptures and religious representations. It also has a water mirror and interactive rooms to learn about the inhabitants of the area and the extraction of salt. It also has places to buy souvenirs.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Plaza de los Comuneros, Plaza de Los Comuneros, Zipaquira Colombia
The plaza is in the center of Zipaquirá, adorned by colonial houses and the Diocesan Cathedral. The architecture will be appreciated and some words of the native inhabitants of the area (the Muiscas) will be known.
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Travelers are picked up at their accommodation
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 4/11/2020 - 12/31/2020
1/16/2021 - 7/31/2021
Monday - Sunday: 08:00 AM - 03:00 PM Saturday - Sunday: 08:00 AM - 03:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- It is not recommended for people with health problems and leg injuries.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Regular hand disinfection, antibacterial gel and wet towels for disinfection.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.