Vatican Skip the Line Private Tour including St Peter's Basilica and Dome
You will meet your guide outside the Vatican Museum and bypassing the queues with your skip-the-line ticket you gain immediate entry to the museum complex. You pass through several of the museums galleries and rooms; Gallery of Maps, Gallery of Tapestries and also enter the Pinecone Courtyard. You then work your way towards the stunning Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo’s iconic frescoes; The Last Judgements and the Creation of Adam. (Talking is not allowed inside the chapel so your guide will give you a full commentary before entry)
Then, before the normal throng of tourists arrives, the tour proceeds to the Dome. The tour price includes the elevator ride to the first floor where you get the opportunity to see the spectacular mosaics and stucco embellishments up close. From ground level the mosaics look beautiful but from a close inspection you can really appreciate the intricacy and mastery that went into creating them.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Private tour
- Professional art historian guide
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Entry/Admission - Vatican Museums
- Entry/Admission - Sistine Chapel
- Entry/Admission - Cupola di San Pietro
- Entry/Admission - St. Peter's Basilica
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Vatican Museums, Viale Vaticano, 00120 Vatican City Italy
You will have a skip-the-line ticket; so, when you meet your private guide outside the Vatican Museum you gain immediate entry. You then proceed along the numerous ornate galleries and rooms; the Gallery of Maps; the Gallery of Tapestries and into the Pinecone Courtyard. Great masters like Raphael and Michelangelo created much of the stunning artwork for the popes during the Renaissance period; your guide will recount stories of the rivalry between the artists.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Sistine Chapel, Viale Vaticano, 00165 Vatican City Italy
As you leave the galleries you enter the magnificent Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo’s iconic ceiling frescoes The Last Judgement and The Creation of Adam on one of the chapel’s walls. (There is no speaking inside the chapel so your guide will explain everything before entry).
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cupola di San Pietro, Piazza san Pietro, 00120 Vatican City Italy
Next, the trip to the dome! Not long to wait as you will be there before the usual daily hoards arrive. Included in the tour is the elevator ride to the first level where you get an up close view of the inside of the dome with its stunning mosaics and embellishments. From ground level they are impressive; from up close you can really appreciate the mastery that went into creating such elaborate work.
Then prepare yourself for the climb up the 281 steps that will take you to the top of the dome. The guide will tell you what to look for once you reach the top: spectacular views of St. Peter’s Square; the wonderful view along the long, straight avenue that Mussolini bulldozed and that leads to St. Peter’s and the long distance views across the Tiber to the very centre of ancient Rome. Definitely the best viewing point in the whole of Rome!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: St. Peter's Basilica, Piazza San Pietro, 00120 Vatican City Italy
It is then back again to ground level for a tour of St. Peter’s Basilica where you will explore the numerous side chapels with their hidden crypts. You will see Michelangelo’s Pietà and your guide will explain why this is the only work that he signed. You will gain an appreciation of the mastery that went into the creation of Bernini’s altarpiece and learn how Michelangelo triumphed over his contemporaries for the honour to paint St. Peter’s magnificent dome.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Viale Vaticano, Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Saint Peter's Square, Piazza San Pietro, Città del Vaticano, Vatican City
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the museums except for bottled water
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Due to the increasing popularity of the current Pope Francis and his intense activity in organising mass events in the Vatican some areas might get closed last minute without previous notice, especially the Basilica of St Peter and/or the Sistine Chapel. In case of such events we do NOT refund NOR reschedule the tour, our tour guide will provide you with a valuable alternative focusing the tour inside the Vatican museums.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.