Valtellina Food & Wine tasting full day tour
A full day tour to discover the tastes and flavours of Valtellina: visit to an old grocery store dated 1883, wine tasting experience at two historic wineries plus lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant.
per adult from
What's included :
- Private minibus transfer
- Visit to an old charming Bottega (grocery store) dated 1883 plus tasting of delicious local cheeses (Bitto, Casera)
- Guided wine tasting at an historic small winery (3 wines)
- Special lunch at a Michelin starred Restaurant (starter, pizzoccheri, water, a glass of wine and coffee)
- Guided wine tasting at the famous Cantine Nino Negri winery (4 wines)
What's excluded :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (please contact us for a quotation)
- The costs of any souvenirs/ drinks / snacks / meals that are not explicitly listed in the programme.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Lake Como Food Tours, _Piazza Martiri della Liberta Ferry Terminal, Varenna Italy
The Valtellina Valley is one of the hidden gems of Northern Italy just a two-hour drive north from Milan. If you are a wine lover this is an extraordinary destination to visit. Valtellina is the largest terraced vineyards area in Italy with its 2,500 kilometers of picturesque vineyards built over centuries. Valtellina with its stunning alpine landscapes, its genuine gastronomy produces almost exclusively red wines, made of Chiavennasca, the local name for the Nebbiolo grape.
During our “ Valtellina: food & wine tasting tour” you will discover the taste and flavours of this magnificent region. Get on board our private minibus in Varenna and start your journey!
Our first stop will be at a famous and old “ Bottega” (grocery store) of the valley dated 1883 for a taste of the two typical cheeses of the region, the well-rounded forms of aged Bitto and Casera hidden in back rooms surrounded by an astonishing succession of vaults, columns and beehive cells.
The trip continues along the valley to a small historic Valtellina winery located in the ancient home of the noble Quadrio, in Chiuro for an unforgettable 3 wine tasting experience. The winemaker Paolo carries on the family tradition with his sons Luca and Matteo respecting as much as possible the long aging time of Nebbiolo. This is the only winery at the moment that uses the precious antioxidant active ingredients of grapes to produce anti-aging creams, based on red wine.
Lunch will be served in a Michelin starred restaurant renowned for highlighting the ancient land flavors in its dishes. This is the best time to relax and get to know your travelling companions while enjoying the world famous typical dish of “ pizzoccheri” ( pasta made with buckwheat floor, topped with Casera cheese, butter and cabbage) and the “ sciatt”, delicious cheese-filled buckwheat fritters.
The tour continues after lunch to your last stop - a visit to the most historic and largest winery of Valtellina born more than a century ago: Casa Vinicola Nino Negri. You will be guided through a labyrinth of cellars under Palazzo Quadrio, the company's headquarters, where you will be so amazed by the number of barrels and underground rooms while experiencing the tasting of 4 different wines so interesting that you won’t notice that you have come out in another part of the village.
This concludes your Valtellina experience and now enjoy the journey back to Varenna admiring the beautiful landscapes that surrounds Lake Como.
Departure Point :Lake Como, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The tour is not recommended for pregnant women and children due to alcohol consumption.
- Comfortable shoes and clothes are advisable. Please bring a light jacket/jumper with you as temperature in the cellars could be cold.
- The meeting and end point are well connected to public transport.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking.
- The tour runs rain or shine.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.