Township Tour of Cape Town
Originally built as areas of segregation, Cape Town's townships are experiencing new life. On this tour guests visit two key township central business districts, and learn about how the townships are shaping up as important central nodes. Explore some of the city's best known townships including its oldest, Langa, and its fastest growing, Khayelitsha. Interact with proactive community members who are shaping the future of the townships, and, by extension, the city.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- South Africa’s townships were created as segregated places for blacks only, until the end of the Apartheid era. Usually located on city outskirts, the townships still exist today and while still facing undeniable problems, they hold the highest level of savings in the country, and are acknowledged by government as the economic future of the country.
After meeting your guide in Cape Town, you’ll head out by minivan to discover some of Cape Town’s most interesting townships, like Langa and Khayelitsha. Meet the local leaders who are making things happen for this vibrant community, and hear their views on some of the biggest questions surrounding their future: ‘What if the greatest value of savings were in the townships, and not in the wealthy areas? How will the townships become suburbs? What’s their future?’
Departure Point :Ikhaya Lodge, Gardens, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Ikhaya Lodge, Gardens, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is subject to change, on occasion you may visit different townships depending on availability of hosts within the community
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.