The Top Kalavryta, Rack Railway & Cave of Lakes Private Tour from Athens
This is an uncommon private tour where you visit unique mountainous sites, the rack railway gorge in Kalavryta, one of the most spectacular train rides in the world. You will be touring Kalavryta, a historical and very traditional Greek small town. You will visit the Cave of Lakes, which walls are embellished with splendid stalactite complexes, a tour completely off the touristic beat!
As this is a private tour, our guests enjoy luxury travelling, with photo stops-as-you-go.
per adult from
10 to 11 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Live commentary by your professional English speaking tour driver
- Private and Exclusive Luxury Transfer
- Brand new luxury vehicles with WiFi, A/C and bottled mineral water for all
- Free residence / hotel / port pick up and return
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees to the sites and the train
- Meals and drinks (Unless Lunch Option)
- Your driver can not escort you into the sites
- Entry/Admission - The Municipal Museum of the Kalavryta Holocaust
- Entry/Admission - Kastria Cave of the Lakes
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Corinth Canal, Isthmia, Corinth 201 00 Greece
Our first stop is at Corinth Canal, a six and a half kilometres canal separating the Aegean Sea with the Ionian sea.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Diakopto, Diakopto, Achaea Region, West Greece
Start your tour with a morning pick up and set off towards the Peloponnese peninsula. Driving for about an hour we reach Diakofto, a pretty seaside village where we will get aboard the popular “Odontotos” small train, a gauge rack railway. Odontotos runs through the gorge of Vouraikos and the village of Zachlorou. The train covers the 22 kilometre trip in about an hour and ends up in Kalavryta where your driver will be waiting for you.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: The Municipal Museum of the Kalavryta Holocaust, 1-5 Sigrou Achaia, Kalavrita 250 01 Greece
Kalavryta is famous for its striking natural beauty, its abundance in waters, its ski resort and its historical importance for Greeks. On 13th December 1943, the German 117th Jäger Division executed nearly all-male population and resulted in the total destruction of Kalavryta.
There is a Memorial in Kalavryta and Holocaust Museum which you can visit if you wish.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Kastria Cave of the Lakes, Kastria Greece
Leaving Kalavryta, our next stop is the Cave of the Lakes, with its mysterious galleries and multicolour chambers, the imposing stalactite and stalagmite formations. What makes this cave quite unique is that has the three different levels with lakes on every level, 13 in total.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Mega Spileo Monastery, Kato Zachlorou, Kalavrita Greece
The Holy Monastery of Mega Spileo (Grand Cave) which is located under the shadow of great rock at 940 m height, is one of the most important and wonderful places of Greek Orthodoxy in the Peloponnese. The Monastery was first built in 362 AC but has gone many repairs through the centuries. Today, you can admire a number of important and unique relics which are kept in a special hall and marvel at the beauty of nature around the Monastery.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from any Hotel and Air BNB in Athens and Piraeus. Airports
- Athens Intl Airport, Attiki Odos, Spata 190 04 Greece
- Piraeus port, Pireas 185 38, Greece
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our Health & Safety Measures: All our Tours are private so you will never mix with another group. Our vehicles are thoroughly cleaned after each tour, equipped with face-masks, hand sanitizer, & seats next to your driver remain free.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.