The Medici's Mile in Florence, Discover the Medici Dynasty Secrets
A great SEMI PRIVATE tour to let you know better the most powerful and important family that ruled Florence from the Renaissance, the Medici. Coming from Mugello valley north of Florence, they were the money-changer of the Pope in Rome and they had several banks in Europe as well. After they got the power of Florence in the first half of the XV century under Cosimo the Elder, they decided to build a great palazzo, Palazzo Medici, in via Larga (now via Cavour) and to transform the Church of San Lorenzo into their private family church.
With a professional guide you will then discover all the secrets about the so-called “Medici Mile”, in San Lorenzo lively neighbourhood.
per adult from
What's included :
- Licensed local guide
- Earphones for groups of more than 8 people
- Entry/Admission - Palazzo Medici Riccardi
- Entry/Admission - Basilica di San Lorenzo
- Entry/Admission - Cappelle Medicee
What's excluded :
- Transfer service
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Via Camillo Cavour 1-3, 50129, Florence Italy
You will visit Palazzo Medici with the main courtyards, the marvellous Cappella dei Magi (the Chapel of the Magi) and the Salone degli Specchi, a great Baroque gallery fully decorated with mirrors where you can admire the Apotheosis of the Medici family frescoed by Luca Giordano on the ceiling.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Basilica di San Lorenzo, Piazza di San Lorenzo 9, 50123, Florence Italy
In the Church of San Lorenzo you will then get to know all the features of a Renaissance church, totally rebuilt by Filippo Brunelleschi only for the Medici family, an elegant and harmonic religious building full of great works of art by Donatello, Bronzino, Andrea del Verrocchio, Filippo Lippi. In the Old Sacristy of the Church several members of Cosimo the Elder’s family are buried.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cappelle Medicee, Piazza di Madonna Degli Aldobrandini 6, 50123, Florence Italy
The tour finishes in the Medici Chapels (Cappelle Medicee), at the back of the Church, where almost all the most important members of the Medici are buried. For the glorification of such a powerful dynasty, especially of the great leader of Florence during the Renaissance, Lorenzo the Magnificent (Lorenzo il Magnifico), it had only to be asked for the work of the genius Michelangelo Buonarroti: he designed and realised the New Sacristy of the Church of San Lorenzo where you will see a room filled with motion and tension, simply taking your breath away.
Duration: 1 minute
Departure Point :Riccardi Medici Palace, Via Camillo Cavour, 3, 50129 Firenze FI, Italy
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Basilica di San Lorenzo, Piazza di San Lorenzo, 9, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.