The Jewish Heritage of Mumbai
This 4-hours of a private tour will allow you to experience the Jewish culture of Mumbai. The highlights of this experience include the Knesset Eliyahoo Synagogue, Magen David Synagogue, and the Sha'ar-ha-Rahamim Synagogue. You will be accompanied by a local historian, with a fully air-conditioned vehicle to travel.
per adult from
3 to 4 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned private vehicle
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Camera Fees
- The Jewish community in Mumbai comprises mainly of about 4,000 Bene Israel Jews who trace their origins in Mumbai to a shipwreck off the Maharashtra coast around 175 BC and a few hundred Baghdadi Jews from Iraq. The first Baghdadi Jew, Joseph Semah, moved to Bombay from Surat in 1730 and settled there as the city had a prominent opportunity. Later, the members of the Bene Israel community also moved from the Konkan villages in 1746 as a part of the Divekar family. This experience, led by a local historian, will showcase their history and heritage. The highlights of the experience include the Kenesethe Eliyahoo Synagogue, Magen David Synagogue, and the Shaar –ha- Rahamim Synagogue.
Departure Point :Guest's Hotel from within city boundary
Departure Time :Earliest Start Time: 9:00 AM Latest Start Time: 2:00 PM
Return Detail :Guest's Hotel from within city boundary
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.