The Essence of Nara Cultural Tour: Big Buddha, Bambi and Backstreets
Explore the ancient capital of Japan with us and discover a peaceful city, brimming with dazzling temples, shrines, imperial tombs and machiya houses built in the traditional style. We’ll meet divine deer roaming the streets, grab some tasty street food, chat with locals about living and working here and show you our favourite hidden gems in the alleys of the old city. All this at your own pace, without the hassle or the crowds of a typical day in Kyoto. What are you waiting for?!
per adult from
210 to 240 minutes
What's included :
- Entrance fees for all the sites mentioned
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entry/Admission - Todai-ji Temple
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drink
- Gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kofuku-ji Temple, 48 Noboriojicho, Nara 630-8213 Nara Prefecture
The Kofukuji temple was established in 711AD and it was the most important temple at that time. The 50m high five storey pagoda is the second-tallest wooden pagoda in Japan.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Nara Park, 469 Zoshicho, Nara 630-8501 Nara Prefecture
Nara park is famous for its free roaming deer that were believed by locals to be messengers of God.
Visitors will enjoy looking at the deer walking in the park.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Todai-ji Temple, 406-1 Zoushi-cho, Nara 630-8587 Nara Prefecture
First built in the 8th century, Todaiji daibutsuden is one of the largest timber structures in the world and it houses the famous 15m tall Great Buddha. The two Nio figures that guard the gate to the great buddha at Great South Gate were carved by famous sculptors around the 12th century.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Nara Machi Center, 38 Higashiterabayashimachi, Nara 630-8362 Nara Prefecture
Naramachi was the merchant district of Nara during the Edo period and many of the buildings are preserved with its traditional façade and have been turned into cafes, restaurants and craft shops now. Several houses are open for the public to see the traditional Japanese living style.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Kintetsu-Nara Station, Japan, 〒630-8215 Nara, Nishimikadochō, 東向中町29
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Sanjo dori Street, Sanjo dori St, 1-chōme-4 Shijōōji, Nara, Japan
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- As we will be visiting religious temples and shrines, modest dress is required.
- Some of the places we will visit in Nara-machi will vary on each tour as they have irregular opening and closing days. In case of unexpected closure of the Todaiji temple, we will either reschedule or cancel the tour. If we have to cancel for such a reason, you will be refunded in full.
- Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- We can accommodate some dietary restrictions. Please notify us in the time of the booking if you have any dietary requests. The snacks included on the tour are not substantial so if your dietary requirements cannot be met, we’ll provide a liquid refreshment instead.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.