Thanka Shopping in Kathmandu
A Thanka is a painting on cotton usually depicting a Buddhist deity, scene, or mandala. Thangkas are traditionally kept unframed and rolled up when not on display, mounted on a textile backing somewhat in the style of Chinese scroll paintings, with a further silk cover on the front. So treated, thangkas can last a long time, but because of their delicate nature, they have to be kept in dry places where moisture will not affect the quality of the silk. Most thangkas are relatively small, comparable in size to a Western half-length portrait, but some are extremely large, several metres in each dimension; these were designed to be displayed, typically for very brief periods on a monastery wall, as part of religious festivals. Most thangkas were intended for personal meditation or instruction of monastic students.
In this tour, you are provided a guide and transportation to the Thanka house.The cost of Thanka is ranging from $10 to $1000 depending a quality and the labour of Master artist.
per adult from
1 to 2 hours
What's included :
- Drop to the Swaymbunath Stupa for Shopping
- A professional tour guide
What's excluded :
- Any thanka cost
- Accommodation in Kathmandu hotel
- Any cost which is not in cost inclusion
- Entry/Admission - Swayambhunath Temple
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Swayambhunath Temple, Swayamhu Circle Road, Kathmandu 44620 Nepal
We take you to the Swaymbunath temple ofr the Best Thanka shopping
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up all the travelers from Thamel, a touristic hub or its surrounding areaAirports
- Tribhuvan Airport, Kathmandu Nepal
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.