Sugar Shack Maple Syrup Private Day Tour with lunch from Montreal
You’ve most probably heard of sugar shacking, that mysterious springtime activity ? If you’ve ever wondered what a “cabane à sucre” or sugar shack really is and what really happens at this place, here it is:
Sugar shacks are popular in Eastern Canada because of Mother Nature, basically. You see, sugar maple trees love cold winters and in order for the sap to flow in the spring, the trees need cold nights and warm sunny days, which is exactly what we have here in Québec. Fun fact: Canada produces about 80 per cent of the world’s pure maple syrup, and Québec alone makes up over 90 % of the country’s production. In 2016 alone, Québec produced approximately 71.4% of the global production (source: FPAQ). And we make the best maple syrup in the world!
per adult from
4 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Lunch - Buffet lunch
- Bottled water
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Sucrerie de la Montagne
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sucrerie de la Montagne, 300 Chemin Saint-Georges, Rigaud, QC J0P 1P0, Canada
You private day tour of Montreal area sugar shack will start with hotel-motel-airbnb pick up for your group at 9am. Your destination is aprox 45 min drive in a beautiful scenic mountain country side.
March and April are high season months at the Sugar Shack and your group will experience real Québec traditions. Here, the maple syrup is produced the old-fashioned way: the tree is tapped with a spout, the sap collected in a pail and transported to a traditional wood-fired evaporator, where it is transformed into maple syrup.
Once you understand and explore the location, it is time to eat:
• An all-you-can-eat sugaring off feast served at tables: Soupe au pois du Montagnard (mountain dweller’s pea soup), pain croûté de la paysanne (farm-style crusty bread), jambon fumé à l’érable (maple-smoked ham), fèves au lard de chantier (wood-fired baked beans), omelette soufflée de la fermière (farm-style omelette soufflé), saucisses de campagne (country-style sausages), ragoût de boulettes (traditional meatball stew), grillades de lard (grilled salt pork), pommes de terre pilées à l’ancienne (old-style mashed potatoes), tourtière de la beauceronne (meat pie from Québec’s Beauce region), homemade fruit ketchup & pickles). For dessert: sugar pie, pancakes with maple syrup, tea and coffee);
After all this food, if you can still move is time to explore some more of this unique Quebec experience with some sweetness:
• Maple-taffy-on-snow tasting;
warm maple syrup is poured on fresh snow in perfect little rows. The idea is to let the liquid syrup set a bit in the snow then to roll it around a popsicle stick and enjoy like a lollipop. Kids and adults of all ages enjoy this ritual the best and no sugar shack meal is complete without it.
Late afternoon is time to head back to your hotel-motel-airbnb. The hour of drive back will allow your private driver-guide to tell more about other Montreal area activities. You will arrive back around 3-4pm after a wonderful unique travel experience that will certainly be a lifetime memory
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
pick up at any Montreal area hotel, motel, airbnb or any other location indicated by the customer
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Stroller accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.