Strumica monasteries and waterfalls tour from Skopje
The eastern part of Macedonia abounds with exceptional natural beauties, and beautiful old churches and monasteries. We will visit two monasteries, not far from Strumica, the monastery St. Leontius in Vodocha, and the Monastery in Veljusa, dedicated to the Holy Mother of God Eleusa. One of the masterpieces of nature, that we will explore, is the Kolesino waterfall. You will fall in love with this beautiful little place, nature carved in the hills of the Belasica mountain, not that far from the Kolesino village.
per adult from
What's included :
- Pick-up and drop off at your hotel or any other preferred location in Skopje
- All transfers with comfortable A/C car or minivan
- Experienced English-speaking tour guide/driver
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Entry/Admission - Strumica Municipality
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Monastery of St Leontius, Vodoca, Strumica Republic of North Macedonia
The monastery is located In the nearby village of Vodocha (4 km). The church is a complex, built on the foundations of an early Christian Basilica, originating from the 5th and 6th century. The fresco painting inside the church is from the 10th to 12th centuries. In the churchyard, you can see the excavation site with remains of early Christian buildings and a necropolis, where around 1000 graves where found, filled with jewellery and ceramics. Today, the monastery is open to visitors and divided into two parts: the quarters for the monks and the residential quarters for the visitors.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Monastery of the Most Holy Theotokos Eleusa, Veljusa, Strumica Republic of North Macedonia
The Veljusa Monastery is built on a hill in the village of Veljusa. It is one of the most valuable symbols of orthodoxy in the Republic of Macedonia. The exceptional church is dedicated to the Holy Mother of God Eleusa, meaning “showing mercy”. It abounds with remarkable frescos originating from two periods, from the foundation of the church in 1080 and from the 12th century. Once, it used to be a home of monks, but since 1996 and with the renewal of the monastic life it became a female monastery. Today, there is a sisterhood of around ten nuns whose day starts and ends with prayer. Their communication is minimal, but with the host sister responsible for the visitors you are going to feel more than welcomed in this holy quiet place situated in an incredibly scenic area. The sisterhood is in charge of making a lot of handicraft items in their workshop, so it is possible to purchase some of the items, put for sale.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Strumica Municipality, Sando Masev бр.1, Strumica 2400, North Macedonia
You will be able to explore the town’s center, the park, or visit some of the local branded stores. We can have our lunch break here, before departing to the slope of Belasica for the waterfall visit.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Koleshino Waterfall, North Macedonia
After the break, we will continue our way for the foothills of Belasica, to the Kolesino waterfall. We have about 10 minutes walk to the falls, in beautiful natural surroundings. The waterfall is 610 meters above sea level, and the water falls from about 19 meters. For the ones who want to explore a little more, there is a small trail over the cliffs for a view from the top of the waterfall.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Skopje, Skopje, Skopje Region
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from your hotel or any other preferred location in Skopje.We suggest the start time for:8 AM or9 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- The tour does not operate in extremely bad weather conditions. You will be offered a change of dates in case that happens
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- We are constantly following the WHO recommendations and guidelines and are implementing all the necessary precautions for ensuring the health and safety for our travelers and our staff, as well as all the other people involved in the experience.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.