Soweto & Apartheid Museum Tour
Soweto is an urban area of the city of Johannesburg, bordering the city’s mining belt in the south. Its name, an English syllabic abbreviation for South Western Townships, refers to its origins as a Black township under South Africa’s Apartheid government. The population has historically been overwhelmingly black and some of the watershed events in the struggle against Apartheid occurred in this township. On this tour we will discover Soweto and the surrounding area, driving past a hostel in Diepkloof, the well known Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Orlando Power Station, Mandela House Museum, Desmond Tutu’s House, the Hector Pieterson Memorial & Museum, a quick stop at a well known restaurant, a shebeen, the Regina Mundi Church, Maponya Shopping Mall, Kliptown, Walter Sisulu Freedom Square and Aldorado Park. Afterwards we will head towards the Apartheid Museum. Once there you will have the opportunity to discover the history of the Apartheid era on your own.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entrance into Hector Pieterson Museum
- Entrance into Nelson Mandela Museum
- Entrance Apartheid Museum
- Entry/Admission - Hector Pieterson Museum
- Entry/Admission - Apartheid Museum
- Entry/Admission - Mandela House
What's excluded :
- lunch and all extras not mentioned
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hector Pieterson Museum, 8287 Khumalo St, Soweto, Johannesburg South Africa
This is a large museum located in Orlando West, Soweto. Only two blocks away from where Hector Pieterson was shot and killed 16 June 1976
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Apartheid Museum, Northern Park Way and Gold Reef Rd, Johannesburg 2001 South Africa
The Museum illustrates apartheid and the 20th century history of South Africa.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Mandela House, 8115 Orlando West Street, Soweto, Johannesburg 1804 South Africa
Former residence of the late South African President Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please meet the guide in the front lobby of Hotel. If your hotel is not listed, please contact us 48 hours prior to departure in order to confirm we are able to collect you and drop off at your hotel.
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 11/1/2020 - 10/31/2021
Monday - Sunday: 08:15 AM - 09:15 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Minimum 2 guests required
- Guests will be notified the day prior of collection time.
- Should guests hotel not be listed, guest are to contact the office 48 hours prior to confirm if we will be able to collect and drop off at the relevant hotel.
- Should we receive a booking with no pick up and drop details, guests are requested to contact the office, 48 hours prior to tour departure date. failure to provide us with pick up and drop off details, will result guest not receiving a pick up time and missing the tour and no refund will be provided.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Cullinan Guided Journeys strictly follow the SA Government approved TBCSA Health and Safety COVID-19 Protocols. Should guests present COVID-19 symptoms, COVID testing and quarantine will be at their own cost. We recommend that you ensure that your guests take adequate personal travel insurance cover before departure from home.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- * Guests are to bring along own face masks.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.