Small-Group Tour: Local Markets Hopper and Foodie in Hong Kong
This tour offers the chance to explore fascinating markets and eat like a local at the same time. A moderate amount of walking is involved as you taste your way through several of the most lively markets and food samplings. Join this tour for a 3.5 hours experience with a friendly local guide who will regale you with the information of the markets, share fun facts with you and also learn more of Hong Kong's food culture and history of development. Your guide will take you from the main street restaurants to the hidden small local food stalls to try local delicacies that have won the heart of Hong Kong locals.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Food and drink tastings at 4 locations (subject to change and availability)
- Bottled water (one per person)
- Tour will be conducted by a friendly, professional licensed English speaking guide
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks that do not belong to the tastings
- Transportation fees to and from your hotel to Prince Edward and Mongkok back
- No appointed shopping stop is involved
- Begin this walking tour by meeting your local guide at the Prince Edward MTR station by 2pm.
Along with your guide, you will then kick this tour off with a tasty sampling of dim sum at a cozy restaurant. “Dim sum”, literally meaning “touch your heart”, are mostly snack-sized portions served in a small bamboo containers and typically paired with Chinese tea.
After filling your stomachs with the lovely dim sum, you will head out on a fragrant journey through the Flower Market, a jungle of colorful flowers, fregrant scents and luck-bringing houseplants spread out over 50 shops. This is the perfect introduction to the markets in Kowloon. Next to the fragrant Flower Market is the sonorous Yuen Po Street Bird Garden, a charming Chinese-style garden where you will hear melodious chirping from the hundreds of birds in more than 70 songbird stalls. You will see the elderly as they carry their beloved birdies in intricate cages.
You will then head over to Fa Yuen Street, a popular local street market where vendors sell bargain priced clothing, bags, accessories and other household items. Even if you're not up for bargaining, it is fun to experience the atmosphere of the market. Near the Fa Yuen Street market is the “Gold Fish market”, with shops devoted to the raising of various kinds of fish from the weird looking goldfish to the colorful tropical species. You will also see some saltwater aquarium setups complete with coral.
While you are passing through the gold fish market, you'll have a chance to stop at two family-run food tasting stalls featuring Hong Kong’s classic food. This may include samples of a Sweet Tofu dessert (very silky smooth tofu with sweet syrup) and the marvelous fresh baked egg tarts or pineapple buns from the local bakery. While you are in this bustling corner, your local guide will let you have a sample tastings of various sorts of skewers and mini egg puffs or some local street snacks.
In between your tastings, you will stop by an iconic wet market that offer a blast to the past.
Your last stop will be the most popular open air market, the Ladies Market. It offers products and souvenirs for everybody from clothing, clocks, DVDs, electronics accessories, and much more. Some stalls carry a catalog of luxury brand handbags or watches but please be aware that these are knock-off products, and because it is illegal to sell these fake items, they cannot put them on display. The stalls will appear empty.
The tour will end at Mongkok, where your tour guide will see you off at the Mongkok MTR station.
Departure Point :Prince Edward MTR Station - Exit B (Inside the station concourse)
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :Mongkok MTR Station
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- If you have food allergies, please advise at time of booking, alternative tastings will be available for you
- Vegetarian option is also available, please advise upon making reservation
- Minimum number of 2 adults required to operate the tour
- Maximum 2 children (age 0-6 years old) at no charge for every 2 paying adults
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.