Small Group Old Delhi Food Crawl
Let’s face it. For a first-timer, Delhi’s a culture shock. Don’t know your aloo tikkas from your dahi bhallas? Feeling out of your culinary comfort zone? Fear not. We’ve got just the ticket. Old Town’s maze of backstreets and bylanes are filled with intoxicating smells emanating from curry joints tea stalls, and spice markets. You’ll navigate Old Town’s maze hitting up its tastiest spots with your foodie expert. Mop up creamy paneer tikka masala with freshly fired chapattis, pop bursting pani puris, nibble on pakoras, and lick your lips after the best jalebi in India. That’s just for starters. There’s more food on this tour than you can shake your taste buds at. Along the way you’ll dive into a Sikh temple kitchen to discover how they feed 30,000 Delhiites every day and climb up to a secret rooftop spot above the old spice market to take in the views just as the sun drops to the right angle for photographic perfection.
per adult from
What's included :
- Taste 12 different Delhi food and drinks
- Truly small group Delhi foodie adventure limited to 8 guests
- A licensed foodie guide will accompany you
- Bottled water and refreshing Indian drinks
- All local taxes and booking fees
- This tour is suitable for vegetarians
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chandni Chowk, Near Red Fort, New Delhi 110006 India
The tour kicks off 12pm from outside Chandni Chowk Metro Gate 5 where you'll be greeted by your foodie guide.
You can't do anything without a blessing, so the first stop at a Hindu temple gets you set for the day. Start with a small bowl of soaked vadas covered in creamy yogurt and topped with pomegranate seeds, something you'll have never seen in any Indian takeaway back home.
Walking with your guide, they'll explain local life and give you an idea of the foodie scene in Old Delhi. In quick succession, you'll grab a clay cup of sweet frothy lasse before working your way over the finest jalebi in India.
As you let your food settle, you'll dive into an enormous Sikh temple to take a tour of their 24-hour kitchen which feeds over 30,000 Delhites from all walks of life every single day. Try your hand at making chapattis and stirring enormous pots big enough to feed an army.
Now it's time to jump into the maze of Old Delhi. Your guide will take you on a walking tour around the narrow streets carefully negotiating passing cows, cycle rickshaws and tiny vendors where you'll stop to try titbits like pani puris, tasty pakoras and stuffed parathas from a little place that's been churning them out for almost a century. If you travel in winter, you may even be able to have a taste of a Delhi specialty - a white mousse-like dish covered in saffron and nuts that's often described as being as fluffy as a cloud.
Your guide will lead you up the steps to a secret little restaurant that's got no sign outside to try one of the best paneer masala curries in the city, before washing it down with a masala lime soda nearby.
Continue weaving through the winding back alleys until you hit the fragrant spice market. After a walk and talk about the spices and herbs used in Indian cuisine, you'll head up some secret steps to a magnificent rooftop overlooking the spice market and the rest of Delhi. Take some time to relax, take photos and sip on tea delivered to the roof by a local chaiwalla.
Rested up, it's on to the final leg where you'll try several deserts including a carrot halva and a traditionally Mughal dish made from vermicelli noodles topped with a creamy nutty layer.
As you walk back to the Chandni Chowk Metro, your guide will have a paan made for you - a betal leaf filled with dried fruits, syrups and other good things. The perfect end to your foodie adventure in Delhi.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Chandni Chowk, Kaccha Bagh Area, Old Delhi, New Delhi, Delhi 110006, India
Departure Time :12:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- There is some moderate walking on the tour, so please wear comfortable shoes
- Please wear appropriate clothing in rainy season and bring an umbrella
- If you think you will have any trouble getting up stairs, please contact us
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.