Skip the Line: Crypts and Roman Catacombs Small-Group Walking Tour
Descend into the chill of Rome’s mysterious underworld with Skip-the-Line access to three of the city’s strangest discoveries. Unmask a new side to the Eternal City as you explore the eerie Bone Chapel, adorned with the bones of 4,000 Capuchin monks, and the Christian Catacombs, a series of hidden tunnels where early Christian’s practiced their forbidden faith. Then travel beneath the Basilica San Clemente to discover layers of ancient foundations offering an insight to civilizations long fallen.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Skip the Line Access
- Group of 21 people max
- Entry/Admission - Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini
- Entry/Admission - Basilica of San Clemente
- Entry/Admission - Catacombe di Santa Domitilla
- Entry/Admission - Museum and Crypt of Capuchins
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini, Via Vittorio Veneto 27, 00187 Rome Italy
Escape the noise and heat of Rome as you explore its cryptic past on the city’s longest running crypts and catacombs tour. Beat the heat with air-conditioned travel and Skip-the-Line access directly down into cool, shadowed spaces that hide layer upon layer of history.
First, you’ll visit the hallowed catacombs where, beneath their persecutors’ feet, early Christians practiced their forbidden faith. Almost 2,000 years ago, this secret network of tunnels doubled as a place of worship and burial ground. As you explore tombs carved out of solid rock, your guide – a local, expert English-speaker – will relate the fascinating history of this sacred spot.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Basilica of San Clemente, Via Labicana 95, 00184 Rome Italy
From here, the coach will whisk you within sight of the Colosseum, to the Basilica of San Clemente. To descend below this structure is to move backwards through time. You’ll travel through the remains of 12th and 4th century basilicas, a 2nd century cult temple and ruins dating as far back as AD 64, when Emperor Nero watched the city burn. Incredibly, the ruins include an aqueduct that still works, after lying buried for centuries.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Catacombe di Santa Domitilla, Via delle Sette Chiese 282, 00147 Rome Italy
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Museum and Crypt of Capuchins, Via Vittorio Veneto 27, 00187 Rome Italy
Your final destination is the Capuchin Crypt. Capuchin monks used the bones of nearly 4,000 of their brothers to decorate this somber space in intricate floor-to-ceiling designs, lending it the macabre nickname of ‘the Bone Chapel’. Your guide will tell you the theories, but it’s up to you to draw your own conclusions about the meaning of the crypt’s robed skeletons and vertebrae chandeliers.
Open your eyes to the city’s hidden side – and you’ll never see Rome the same way again.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :Fontana del Tritone, Piazza Barberini, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :2:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required for entry into some of the sites on this tour. Knees and shoulders must be covered
- No photos can be taken inside the venue during the tour
- Please note this tour involves a fair amount of walking, as well as a large number of stairs, comfortable shoes are recommended
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This activity is not suitable for people who suffer from claustrophobia
- Not recommended for those who are effected by claustrophobia
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.