Shamisen Japanese Guitar Workshop
Explore the intriguing world of traditional Japanese music with the shamisen. Discover how one of the most distinctive sounds in Japanese culture is produced, and learn the basic steps to playing a tsuguru shamisen, a three-stringed musical instrument not disimilar to a guitar.
After, participants have the unique opportunity to experience the Okinawa shamisen (jabisen), an instrument with an ancient past often likened to a banjo.
per adult from
What's included :
- Nationally-accredited bilingual instructor
- Use of Shamisen Instrument
What's excluded :
- Private transportation
- Pick-up / Drop-off services
This program explores the intriguing world of traditional Japanese music through the shamisen, one of the most distinctive instruments in Japanese culture.
In this experience, you will learn from a nationally-accredited instructor how to play the tsugaru shamisen, a three-stringed musical instrument not disimilar to a guitar. Characterized by its thick strings and neck, it is played by plucking the strings with a wide, heavy plectrum to create the graceful variety of strong and delicate sounds found in much of Japan's folk music.
After the lesson, you will then have the unique opportunity to experience the Okinawan shamisen, the jabisen. This is a banjo-like instrument with a long ancient past and unique sound.
Departure Point :Tōkyō−Tower, 4 Chome-3 Shibakoen, Minato City, Tokyo 105-0011, Japan
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 3/19/2020 - 10/24/2021
Tuesday - Saturday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.