San Jose Combo Tour: Horseback Riding and Sarapiquí River Boat Ride
Explore the rainforests of Costa Rica’s Sarapiquí region at a leisurely pace on this full-day guided combo tour. Departing from San Jose, your scenic route takes you through the lush Braulio Carrillo National Park. Hop into a boat in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí and meander down a river, with crocs, sloths and herons dotting the shoreline. Take a horseback ride into the jungle and listen for monkeys and tanagers. This pleasant outing includes a delicious Costa Rican lunch and hotel transport.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- All necessary equipment
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Parque Nacional Braulio Carrillo, North Of San Jose 19 km, San Jose 10104 Costa Rica
Enjoy midmorning hotel pickup in San Jose and travel north with your guide for about two hours by comfortable minivan, passing coffee plantations and farmlands along the way. Your route takes you through Braulio Carrillo National Park, a pristine wonderland of waterfalls, volcanoes and dense rainforest.
Stop At: Sarapiqui River, Costa Rica
Arrive at Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí (known by locals as simply ‘Puerto Viejo’), located in northeastern Costa Rica at the junction of the Puerto Viejo and Sarapiquí rivers. Board a boat and cruise down the Sarapiquí River, which runs from the Central Mountain Range north of San Jose to the San Marcos River.
During the 1.5-hour boat ride, admire the tropical rainforest lowlands and catch sight of crocodiles and toucans as well as sloths and monkeys. Learn about the local plant and animal life you see along the way.
Next, head to Madero Negro, a private reserve in the Sarapiquí region, for an easygoing, 1-hour guided horseback ride through rainforest jungle. Keep watch for the furtive movements of monkeys and iguanas in the lush vegetation. Delight in sighting an array of birds, including herons and tanagers.
Back at the reserve, dig into a hearty Costa Rican lunch and then stroll through a butterfly garden and sanctuary of frogs and snakes. When it's time to leave, board your minivan that speeds you back to San Jose along the same scenic route.
Departure Point :San Jose Metro, San Jose Metro, Province of San Jose
Traveler pickup is offered
On the arrival at the hotel the tour guide is going to ask in the reception of the hotel for the client
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended that you wear long pants, comfortable shoes and bring a hat and a camera
- Horseback riding portion of the tour is suitable for all levels of experience
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.