San Jose By Night: Food and Culture Small Group Tour
Walk in the shoes of a typical ‘tico,’ or native Costa Rican, on this 4-hour evening tour of San Jose and dinner in Guachipelin. Meander through San Jose’s Central Market with an expert guide, and learn about the ingredients used to prepare local cuisine. Then stroll through historic neighborhoods to admire beautiful architecture, including the National Theater. You will enjoy Paseo de la Luz , the east side of San Jose well known for its gastronomy , before tucking into a gourmet 3-course meal, paired with wine, at a local restaurant.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English speaking guide
- 3 glasses of wine
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Meet your guide at San Jose’s Central Market, a lively labyrinth of more than 200 stalls that took root in 1882. Watch as people stream in and out of the covered market to purchase groceries and meet friends at restaurants, cafes and bars.
You’ll find wares of every kind here, including produce, herbal remedies, handicrafts and more. Your guide will take you to certain stalls to point out the herbs, roots and fruit commonly used in local cuisine, some of which may even be part of your dinner later on.
After the market, amble down Central Avenue, learning about city history along the way. In Culture Plaza, gaze at the Neoclassical façade of the National Theater. Opened in 1897, this ornate playhouse is always busy hosting performances from the National Symphony Orchestra and National Theater Company, among other acts.
For more impressive Costa Rican architecture, stroll through Morazán Park — built over swampland in the 19th century — for a look at the Metallic Building that houses two prominent schools. At Spain Park, gaze at the Yellow House, home of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and hear about its connection to Andrew Carnegie.
We’ll continue to charming Barrio Amon, one the oldest neighborhoods in San Jose. Designed by Amon Fasileau, a Frenchman who settled in the area, it has become one of the most scenic parts of the city, boasting a rich, architectural history.
We’ll be spending the rest of the evening at a favorite local restaurant that specializes in wine and gourmet food. This cosy establishment offers the best in Costa Rican cuisine, a unique space that offers art, culture and history as well as fine dining. The view from the terrace is like looking out onto an open-air museum, where 1930s architecture fuses with modern builds which infuses this delightful neighbourhood its eclectic charm.
Between your tasty three course meal, and wines that go down a treat, you’ll be ending the evening in fine fashion, feeling every bit the San Jose local.
Your local guide will be happy to provide suggestions on where to head to next, but if not, they can assist you with getting a taxi back to your accommodation
Departure Point :Banco Central de Costa Rica, Av. central y 1, calles 2 y 4, Paso De La Vaca, San José, Costa Rica
Departure Time :4:00 PM
Return Detail :Amón, San José, Costa Rica
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Minimum age to drink wine is 18 years
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.