San Francisco's Barbary Past Walking Audio Tour
This self-guided GPS audio tour takes you on a meander through a beautifully preserved corner of San Francisco. Through North Beach, the home of the beats, punks and jazz to Jackson Square where Gold Miners came to weigh gold, carouse and sleep.
The route begins at the corner of Columbus and Broadway. The intersection may be reached by taking BART to Montgomery Street and walking east on Montgomery, or by MUNI bus.
Taking this tour in the daytime is lovely because of the bay views, but the evening is also magical. The cafes are bustling and the bookstores and bars offer both ticketed and free jazz, poetry readings and other entertainment.
Along the way you can stop at City Lights Books, Cafe Vesuvio, The Beat Museum, Neibaum Coppola, Cafe Pucchini and Stella Bakery.
The tour is ready whenever you are and the audio plays automatically at exactly the right time and place using your smartphone's GPS and the VoiceMap mobile app, which also works offline.
per adult from
What's included :
- Lifetime access to San Francisco's Glowing Literary Lights tour
- VoiceMap Application
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Transamerica Pyramid, 600 Montgomery St Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94111-2702
The Transamerica Pyramid building was once the tallest skyscraper on the West Coast. It creates a distinctive urban skyline. It was built in 1972, and the idea of the pyramid was to “let light in to the downtown area” while claiming fame as the tallest building west of Chicago until 1982.
Pass By: The Purple Onion, 140 Columbus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133-5102
Kells Irish Restaurant and Pub hosts the famous “Purple Onion” comedy club. Woody Allen, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce and Phyllis Diller all performed at the original venue around the corner as young upstarts. The club has now moved here and still hosts upcoming comedians.
Pass By: Sentinel Building, 916 Kearny St # 920 Columbus Financial District, San Francisco, CA 94133-5107
The Sentinel Building was designed by Salfield and Kohlberg, and construction had begun before the 1906 earthquake and fire. The framing survived the disaster, and the building was completed a year later.
Pass By: The Beat Museum, 540 Broadway, San Francisco, CA 94133-4507
The Beat Museum was founded by Jerry Cimino in 2003, and is dedicated to spreading the spirit of The Beat Generation, which they define as tolerance, compassion and having the courage to live your individual truth.
Departure Point :Broadway & Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 5/20/2019 - 10/27/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :The Basque Hotel, 15 Romolo Pl, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.