Samaria Gorge Hiking Day Tour From Rethymno
There is no better way to experience the real side of Crete, than to traverse the island's unspoiled soil, swim in its crystal waters and stroll down its traditional villages. This hiking tour of the Samaria Gorge will give you the opportunity to do all 3 and in your own pace.
Samaria Gorge is one of the most scenic national parks in Europe, this gorge stretches more than 10 miles to the south coastal region and offers many hiking trails.
If you search for unique hiking experience in Crete the Samaria is the place!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up/drop off from designated spots around Rethymno with an air-conditioned luxury bus
- English & German speaking hiking escort
- All taxes, VAT inclusive
What's excluded :
- Admission to Samaria (5 € per adult, children under 15 free of charge)
- Boat ticket (11 € per adult, 5.50 € per child 5-12 years old)
- Personal expenses, extra beverages or meals
- Customary tips to your driver and escort
- Entry/Admission - Samaria Gorge National Park
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Omalos, Omalos, Chania Prefecture, Crete
Early in the morning, you will be picked up from designated spots around Rethymno via a luxurious bus and reach the starting point of your tour in Omalos Plateau around 7 am.
The panoramic view of the gorge from the plateau is a photo delight, so after a short stop for pictures, you will begin descending the 600 wooden steps that will take you inside the Samaria gorge.
Stop At: Samaria Gorge National Park, Old National Road Chanion-Kissamou Lefka Ori, Sfakia, Crete 730 05 Greece
A National Park and World's Biosphere Reserve, the Samaria Gorge is a scar on the spine of Crete, but one so uniquely beautiful that you wish it never goes away. Extending 13 km long (8 miles), the ravine is home to several endemic species, with the most prominent being the goat Kri-kri, which can't be found anywhere else in the world. Shadowed by the adjacent White Mountains and with plenty of drinking water to be found along the way in many natural springs, this self-paced hike will create unique memories for every traveler.
Behind your group, there will always be a hiking escort to ensure everyone's safety and provide assistance if needed.
At around 17:00 you will board a boat to the picturesque village of Sougia, where you will start your trip back to the place where you were picked up from.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Kindly advise your accommodation in order to arrange the pick up service. We will send you confirmation email with all the details you will need.
Departure Time :5:50 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- It is advisable to bring the following items with you: sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
- It is important to stay hydrated, so bring a bottle of water (you can refill it in the gorge's springs) and a light snack (fruits etc.)
- You can swim at Agia Roumeli beach just after you exit the gorge so make you have a swimsuit and beach towel with you
- Half way down the gorge lies the old village of Samaria, which has a telephone for communication with the police, a pharmacy, and two mules to transport injured persons.
- The trip is not recommended for any person with a history of knee problems, high blood pressure, cardiac and pulmonary problems, pregnant women and for anybody who suffers from vertigo/fear of heights
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- Protective masks are required on the bus due to Covid-19 protocols
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.