Rome Exclusive Underground Catcombs Guided Tour & Hop-on Hop Off Open Bus Tour
Enjoy an in-depth experience in one of the most exciting and visited places in Rome, the Catacombs on the Ancient Appian Way. Descend into a complex and incredible network of underground tunnels, among the longest in the world, where you can admire ancient and precious frescoes, crypts rich in inscriptions, small mausoleums, sarcophagi, tombs. You'll also find the burial of famous people like popes, martyrs and, according to legends, even some apostles.
The catacombs that we'll visit (San Calisto, San Sebastiano, or Santa Domitilla) will change depending on the day.
With this special combo tour, you'll also get the chance to explore the best of Rome comfortably and efficiently. With the panoramic Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour, you can run far and wide in Rome for 24,48 or 72-hours, according to the option you'll chose. Onboard you'll find 8 languages audio commentary that will guide you through Rome and its wonders!
per adult from
2 hours 3 minutes
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Tour inside the Catacombs (about 40 minutes)
- Professional art historian guide
- Hop On-Hop Off Bus Ticket (according to the chosen option you'll have 24/48/72-hrs bus ticket)
- Headset for the panoramic bus
- Transfer from via della Polveriera to Catacombs
- Entry/Admission - Parco Archeologico dell'Appia Antica
What's excluded :
- Food & Drink
- Guide service during the transportation
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Parco Archeologico dell'Appia Antica, Piazza delle Finanze 1, 00185 Rome Italy
Starting, with a small group, from our travel agency, near the Colosseum, you will be comfortably transported on an air-conditioned vehicle, in one of the most interesting and visited places in Rome, the "catacombs" on the Via Appia Antica.
With this tour, we will guide you through time to discover a hidden and parallel world in which, for centuries, Jews and Christians have looked after and adored their dead.
Pass by the majestic Aurelian Walls, and come to the archaeological area of the Via Appia Antica. Here, immersed in the green Roman countryside, you will descend into the ancient world of the Catacombs, a complex network of underground tunnels among the longest in the world, occupying an area of about fifteen hectares for about 60 kilometers of tunnels on several levels. The catacombs included in the visit (San Calisto, San Sebastiano, or Santa Domitilla), change depending on the day. Either way, you will have the opportunity to discover a significant place that still today, after about 2000 years, is still used to celebrate religious rites. Along your visit path, you can marvel at ancient frescoes, crypts rich in inscriptions carved in the walls, niches with remains of skeletons, small mausoleums, sarcophagi, tombs, and small chapels.
Here you will even find the burial of famous people like popes, martyrs and, according to legends, even some apostles.
After the tour, back in the sunlight, your driver will take you back to the original starting point in Via Della Polveriera.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Pass By: Rome, Rome, Lazio
Included in this activity, you also have the Panoramic Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Ticket so you explore the best of Rome comfortably and efficiently. You can run far and wide in Rome for 24,48 or 72-hours, according to the option you'll chose. Onboard you'll find 8 languages audio commentary (English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese, Russian) that will guide you through Rome and its wonders. The Hop On-Hop Off service is operating from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm. A complete Round Trip of Rome lasts about 2,5 hrs. However, you can join this service within the validity of your ticket (24,48,72 hrs). The validity of your ticket independently from the chosen option (24,48,72 hrs) is calculated from the validation of the ticket.
Panoramic Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Itinerary:
1. Termini Station (TERMINAL A/TERMINAL B)
2. Santa Maria Maggiore (Esquilino square, 12)
3.Colosseo (Via San Gregorio,30)
4.Circo Massimo (opposite side of the municipal garden)
5. Teatro Marcello
6. Castel Sant'Anglo (Lungotever Tor di Nona)
6M.Vatican Musuem (Via Leone IV - only on Saturday,Sunday and holidays)
7. Via Veneto e Villa Borgehse (Via Ludovisi. 73)
8. Piazza Barberini (Via Barberini, 12)
Departure Point :Via della Polveriera, 8, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Bus ticket will be sent on your Viator extranet the day before your tour date.
- Please remind that it is strictly required to print your bus tickets. No mobile tickets will be accepted on the Panoramic bus.
- Panoramic Bus Ticket is valid for 24/48/72 hours from the first use.
- For the Catacombs Tour customers have a mandatory meeting time stated 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time due to managing and organizational reasons.
- Guided tour inside the Catacombs lasts about 40 min
- Transportation from the meeting point to Appian Way Catacombs is lead by professional drivers (not a guide)
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- You must have a valid photo ID (student's ID, Driver License, Passport or State ID all work.)
- Child discount is applied only with a valid ID card
- A maximum of 14 people per booking
- Small group tour (max 25 people)
- The catacomb temperature is about 60°F and the moisture content is high; please dress appropriately
- No one can visit the catacombs on their own, nor stray from their group along the route, nor cross the gates that delimit the paths open to the public
- It is forbidden to touch the exhibits along the visit path
- It is forbidden to remove any object and/or material
- No photos allowed
- Food and drink are not allowed
- Pets are not allowed
- There is no refund on reservation fees and tickets of monuments that are closed due to event that is out of our control.
- If this is not possible, we will operate the tour and will include other sites to compensate for the site/s being closed. No refund is given on unused tickets due to events that are out of our control. We try and do our best to avoid operating the tour when this occurs and if the information from the office responsible of the sites visited is given in a timely manner for us to rearrange and inform all clients.
- Not recommeded for people with walking impairment
- We kindly inform you that any kind of disability (visual impairment, hearing impairment,... ) or anything that might prevent you to regularly join the tour, MUST BE communicate in advance to our staff.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.