Roman Villa del Casale guide (Piazza Armerina): truly fabulous mosaics in Sicily
Guided tour of the roman Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina town in Sicily, one of the most precious jewels left by the Roman civilization in Sicily.
The villa, built in the III-IV a.d. it probably belonged to Valerio Massimiano, a powerful patrician of the empire. Since 1997 it has become a UNESCO world heritage, especially for the beauty of its mosaics, famous all over the world.
The domus with its 48 rooms is built around the quadrangular peristyle which is accessed from the vestibule. The peristyle floor is entirely mosaic with drawings of European and African animals while the garden is enriched by a large fountain composed of three pools, covered in marble on the outside and in mosaic inside.
Tour included the visit of the room with the ten girls in bikinis portrayed in various sports: throwing the disc, playing with the ball, exercises with weights and cross country and, later, the Basilica with the polychrome marble floors
per adult from
What's included :
- Licensed guide
What's excluded :
- Entrance ticket
- Entry/Admission - Villa Romana del Casale
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Villa Romana del Casale, Strada Provinciale 90, Piazza Armerina, Sicily Italy
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Villa Romana del Casale, 94015 Piazza Armerina, Province of Enna, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.