Rio Jewish Heritage Half-Day Tour
The Jewish presence in Rio de Janeiro started at the time of the first Portuguese navigators in the 1500´s. Since then, the Israelite immigration was constant, mainly thanks to the encouragement of a great admirer of the Jewish culture, no one less than the emperor D. Pedro II. Following the example in many cities in the world, we have selected the main attractions of the Jewish heritage in Rio de Janeiro, presented by expert tour guides.
Besides the attractions listed we will also visit the Synagogue Shel Gmelut Hassidim (in the Sephardic Jewish-Spanish rite) which has received the visit of emperor D. Pedro II, located in Botafogo. In Copacabana, we visit the Club Israelita Brasileiro and Beth El Synagogue. Note: The synagogues Beth Yaacov (in the Eastern-European Ashkenazi rite) in Copacabana, and Beit Lubavitch (Orthodox Chasidic rite), in Leblon, may replace other synagogues, according to client´s request and/or availability.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan / car
- Entry/Admission - Grande Templo Israelita
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Tickets entrances at the Jewish Museum are USD 5.00 per person & at Grand Synagogue as a “Tzedakah” USD 9.00 per person
- Entry/Admission - Museu Judaico do Rio de Janeiro
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mirante do Pasmado, Rua General Severiano 90, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22290-901 Brazil
The tour will begin with a visit to Park Itzhak Rabin / Mirante do Pasmado, with its privileged views over Botafogo beach and Sugar Loaf Mountain. On the way to Downtown, see Chaim Weitzman Square, a public school named after Anne Frank, and the neighborhood of Catete, where resident Jews formerly established a thriving furniture business.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Museu Judaico do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Mexico 90 Centro, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20031-141 Brazil
The Jewish Museum of Rio de Janeiro, founded in 1977, with the donation of a menorah, is a cultural center whose activities are structured around the binomial preservation of memory / dynamism of Jewish culture. It maintains permanent exhibitions on the history of the Jewish community in Rio de Janeiro and the traditions of Judaism in all its aspects - religious, cultural and historical - and holds exhibitions at its headquarters and other institutions, as well as promoting academic research on immigration and annual competitions for students.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Grande Templo Israelita, Rua Tenente Possolo 8, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20230-160 Brazil
The Grande Templo Israelita Synagogue was one of the first synagogues in Rio. Completed in 1932 it boasts a grand archway topped by five smaller arches with beautiful mosaics that depict Jewish life
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
If your hotel is not in the list, please contact us so we can organize your pick-up accordingly.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Please dress appropriately
- Kosher lunch is available upon previous request
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.