Rio Celeste river waterfall, hike and hot springs tour from San Jose, Costa Rica
Enjoy a splendid day in a truly rain forest environment exploring the natural wonders of Rio Celeste (Celeste River) within the Tenorio Volcano National Park.
We will pick you up from your hotel for a 4 hour drive to Rio Celeste enjoying the natural, mountainous and forested landscape along the way.
Once we arrive this moderate 2 and a half hour tour will bring us through trails that encounter waterfalls, bridges, wildlife and plenty of flora and fauna of the area. Rio Celeste has a particular coloration, due to an visual effect caused by the dispersion of sunlight and great concentration of aluminum silicates that the water has. We will also enjoy a hidden gem that combines health and relaxation in crystal clear water naturally heated by the heart of the Arenal Volcano.
per adult from
7 to 9 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local taxes
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos
- We pick you up at your Hotel in San Jose, Alajuela, Heredia or Cartago. Río Celeste is located in the county of Guatuso in the province of Alajuela, inside the Tenorio Volcano National Park. We will take approx 4 hours to arrive to Tenorio National Park. Stock up on snacking provisions at a local store if you like (own expense) before entering the majestic beauty of Tenorio Volcano National Park. Once we arrive we will enjoy a delicious lunch before the hike that later takes us into a marvelous and tropical setting. The hike through the trails last for approx 2 and a half hours and will take you through the rain forest that serves as home to all the wildlife of the park.
The color of Rio Celeste.
Rio Celeste has a particular coloration, legend has it that God washed his paintbrushes in Rio Celeste after he was done painting the sky.
For many years scientist investigated to why for 14 kilometers the river carried the intense blue color. It was in 2013 when the answer to the question of the color of Rio Celeste was discovered. It is within the composition of the water which contains the colloidal silica that is reflected off the sunlight and fool the human eye by returning an image of turquoise blue suspended in the water.
Other attractions to look forward.
There are several other attractions like the Blue Lagoon and the "Borbollones" where the gases escape at the base of the river and give it the appearance of boiling and simmering water. We will also hike through a lookout point approximately 6286 ft in height where we can enjoy the magnificent view of the Tenorio Volcano and all of it´s surroundings.
The trip to the hot springs is to close out the day and unwind by soaking in hot waters to help loosen up muscles and enjoy the temperature and steam from the thermal waters of the Arenal volcano. The waters are filled with high minerals content which is good for therapeutic and medical uses.
Departure Point :Provincese of: San Jose Alajuela Heredia Cartago
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Subject to favorable weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.