Remutaka Rail Trail Cycle Explorer - Cruise Ship Shore Excursion
Discover the Remutaka area’s rich rail history and natural beauty on an easy, all-inclusive, 6 hour mountain biking day trip. The flagship of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, this trail is suitable for riders of all levels. Cycle through native, bird-filled forest, over bridges and through tunnels while enjoying views of the natural landscape and the old railway system. Enjoy a delicious picnic lunch at the Summit and embark on a fun (but easily controllable) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, home to some of New Zealand’s most scenic farmland.
You will be provided with everything you will need for your adventure - transport to and from your cruise ship, comfort mountain bikes / eBikes with trunk bags for your personal effects, and all food - so all you need to do is wear appropriate clothing and be ready to ride!
Distance 18/25km, riding time 3-4 hours, total duration 6 hours
per adult from
What's included :
- All food and water provided - snacks, light lunch, water.
- All equipment - comfort mountain bike / electric bike (eBike), helmets and other safety gear, racks and a pannier bag for your personal effects.
- All transport - shuttles to and from Wellington port.
- Knowledgeable and friendly host, who will provide information regarding the trail and what to expect throughout the day.
- All taxes/fees are included in the headline price - no hidden extras.
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Excludes on-trail guide - our friendly staff will brief you and answer any questions you may have, but the trail is really easy to follow and full of information stations, so a guide isn't really necessary.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Wellington, Wellington, Greater Wellington, North Island
We'll pick you up from the cruise ship port in Wellington, we'll then drive to the start of the trail
Stop At: Remutaka Rail Trail, Unnamed Road, Rimutaka Hill, Upper Hutt 5372, New Zealand
Start your adventure with a very gradual incline through native bush. Pass through tunnels (headlights provided!) and over bridges, while checking out information boards detailing the enormous task of constructing the old fell railway system. Reach the summit - a large grassy plateau perfect for a picnic or cold drink - then enjoy a fun (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, surrounded by some of NZ's most scenic farmland.
Duration: 4 hours
Pass By: Wairarapa, Wairarapa, Greater Wellington, North Island
We'll pick you up at Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, before heading back over the Remutaka Ranges, through the Hutt Valley and back to the cruise ship port
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from the port in WellingtonPorts
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please provide the following at time of booking, so we can make sure your day goes smoothly:
- Info regarding your dietary requirements - eg "no seafood please", "gluten free", "vegetarian"
- Your approximate height (for bike sizing) - inches or cm are fine.
- Trips are subject to favourable weather conditions. If cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund at your discretion.
- Minimum 2 people per booking
- Please wear appropriate clothing for outdoor activity. During the warmer months, this means shorts and a t-shirt for riding, and a light jacket in reserve. During the colder months you may prefer long pants or tights (nothing baggy that may catch on the bike!), with a tshirt, fleece and light jacket in reserve. Closed shoes - running shoes are perfect - must be worn at all times.
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.