Remnants of a Khmer Rouge Era
Cambodia has had its fair share of struggles and oppression since its official birth. Amidst its fabulous heritage that is called Angkor, the current Kingdom is still tightly knitted to the genocide practices of the Khmer Rouge, headed by the notorious Pol Pot. Memories that will not fade away yet are seen as recollections of times past and reminders of what may never return are enveloped during this half day exploration of two of the capital’s most shocking sites in Cambodia’s historical annals.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- A half day tour with a professional English-speaking guide.
- Transportation by car / mini-van / coach with professional driver.
- All entrance and donation fees for visits as mentioned in the description.
- All applicable taxes and service charges
- Entry/Admission - Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
- Entry/Admission - Choeung Ek Genocidal Center
What's excluded :
- Tours, inclusions of any kind and other services that are not outlined in the tour description
- Personal expenses such as meals, drinks, shopping, portage fees and optional tours.
- Hotel accommodation in the destination of commencement.
- Compulsory Christmas, country-specific festival and/or New Year dinner at included hotels
- Any airline tickets, visa fees, additional transportation cost from and to the general meeting point
- Travel insurance coverage for customers (highly recommendable)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, Corner of Street 113 & St 350 History Museum, Phnom Penh 12304 Cambodia
Pick up from your Phnom Penh hotel by your guide and driver and transfer to the Tuol Sleng Museum (Prison S21). During the Pol Pot regime, Tuol Sleng, formerly a high school (Tuol Svay Pre School) was converted to a detention centre known as S21. After interrogation and often torture, prisoners were transferred to The Killing Fields, where they were tortured again and brutally killed. Today the building houses exhibit paintings and photographs of many of the victims. Visitors can see the crude cells built in the classrooms and the torture devices used to extract confessions in Stalinesque purges of the regime in the late 1970s. Do expect a sobering visit, where the building houses exhibits, paintings and photographs of many of the victims indicating its harrowing past.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Choeung Ek Genocidal Center, ផ្លូវជើងឯក, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
We end the morning/afternoon at the Killing Fields at Cheung Ek, located just outside the city centre, seen as a depressing experience of the harsh reality of this part of Khmer history. It was a Chinese Cemetery before it became the Khmer Rouge’s best known Killing Field. The remains of almost 9,000 bodies have been excavated from mass graves in this area. A memorial stupa has been erected and displays over 5,000 human skulls, bones and clothes of the victims. During the Khmer Rouge years, thousands of Cambodians were tortured and imprisoned in detention centres around the country. A visit to this sobering site reveals the photos documenting its checkered past, and the pagoda that was converted into a prison during the regime that is now a monastery.
We return you to your hotel either at around noon (in case you have chosen the morning tour) or at around 6 pm if you decide to book this tour in the afternoon. The total duration of this tour is approximately 4 hours.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from downtown Phnom Penh Hotel. (Transfers outside these areas, conditions apply)
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is operated on full private basis with English-speaking guide. Other languages are on request subject to availability and supplementary charges may apply.
- Return transfers for this excursion apply only are inclusive for customers staying in and inside Phnom Penh.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transfers outside these areas, including any accommodation outside this area such as Koh Dach, Tonle Bati, and Oudong, any of the river and cruise ferry terminals and Phnom Penh International Airport are excluded. Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions.
- This excursion includes obstacles of various kinds that may not make this excursion suitable for wheelchair users. The obstacles comprise of unpaved roads, small boats and cruise embarkation and disembarkation and insufficient facilities to provide a comfortable sightseeing tour.
- To avoid any issues pertaining obtaining an arrival visa at the airport, please ensure that your passport contains at least two empty pages. Failure to do so may result in not gaining entrance into the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- To allow entrance into the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S21) in Phnom Penh, visitors are obliged to uphold a very strict dress code to respect the premises and the victims who lost their lives here. It is essential that you dress modestly and appropriately during this excursion by wearing clothes that cover shoulders and fall below the knees. Customers wearing shirts with obscene and disrespectful prints and pictures and brightly-coloured clothing may be refused entrance.
- We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour.
- Please note pickup and drop-off services may not be confirmed for customers staying at private residences, apartment complexes, or other non-registered tourism accommodations. Customers may be asked to meet at a nearby hotel for pick-up and drop off.
- Natural elements of any kind have a destructive effect on electronic equipment.
- It the customer’s own responsibility to ensure that any camera, mobile telephone or other device is properly wrapped and protected against these elements. We cannot be held responsible in any way for negligence and/or not following suggestions for any damage related to this.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to provide us with the correct hotel information, should pick-up and drop-off services be included in the package. Any changes in accommodation outside 24 hours will be handled accordingly: changes within 24 hours may be on request.
- In the event of no-show or change of accommodation without prior consent and confirmation from us within 24 hours may result in the applicable cancellation charges as outlined in the terms and conditions.
- This tour is not recommended for families with children under the age of 12 years old.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.