Rainbow Mountain and Red Valley - Private Service
Rainbow Mountain Tour is a full day hike to one of the sacred mountains of the towering Ausangate. Locally it is also called 'Winicunca or Vinicunca'. The trip is an unforgettable adventure with fantastic views that will take you through beautiful villages of Quechua-speaking people. The hike allows the traveler to discover the best experience while crossing the Peruvian Andes.
The mountain is characterized by its red and green stripes, which comes from natural mineral deposits. Other colors that can be seen include turquoise, gold, lavender and a deep red. In addition, once you reach the top, you will be able to have 360 degree panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes and the Red Valley.
per adult from
10 to 12 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional Tour guide.
- Round trip transportation
- Entry/Admission - Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain
What's excluded :
- Any other service not mentioned
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain, Cordillera de Vilcanota, Cusco 08225, Peru
You will need to wake up early to enjoy this natural marvel at its best. Between 3:45 am and 4:15 am, we’ll pick you up directly from your hotel to start our ride to the south of Cusco through beautiful landscapes of valleys and agricultural communities. First we will drive for around 2 hours to to the town of Cusipata (3,329m / 12,772 ft.).
After breakfast in Chillihuani we will continue our trip by van, following a beautiful way between the mountains, accompanied by our first views of Ausangate, highest peak of Cusco. Along the way we will pass through herds of hundreds of alpacas and llamas and the occasional shepherd or local people moving about their daily activities.
Our ascent will begin in Phuluwasipata and last about 2 hours, bringing us to our final destination and highest point on our Rainbow Mountain trek (or Vinicunca trek), at 5,020 mts / 16,470 ft. Here we will stop to admire and appreciate the outstanding views in all directions and the rare geological formations that appear to be painted with exotic colors by Gods hand. Far below and into the distance are infinite valleys and glaciers as far as one can see. We will stop for about 30 minutes – the perfect amount of time to rest, to have a snack, and immerse yourself in this wild environment before we must begin our descent, roughly an hour and a half hours towards the point where we started the day’s hike in Phuluwasipata, there our transport will be waiting to take us to restaurant in Chillihuani where we enjoy an energizing lunch. We will have time after lunch to visit some of the local households and observe the lifestyle and customs that are still being practiced today since Inca times. Here the native language of Quechua is spoken very well and agriculture is essential for life.
At the end of the day our tour will conclude with an opportunity to meet with local people from the community before making our journey back to Cusco in our private van. We will leave you back at your hotel around 4:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m.
Meals: Continental Breakfast / snacks / fresh lunch
Lowest Altitude: 3,890 m / 14,189 ft
Highest Altitude: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
Distance: 3 km / 1 mile.
Travel time: 2 hours ascent; 1,5 hours descent
Level of Difficulty: Challenging
Duration: 11 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from your hotel, hotels must be located around Cusco downtown.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- The activities of each trip are monitored continuously, with particular emphasis on compliance with the rules of prevention, control, and response to any possible eventuality. Both the public and private sectors are implementing all the necessary biosecurity protocols for our visitors.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.