Quesillo & Ron: Artisan Rum & Cheese Tasting. Elaboration of Quesillo.
There are many varieties of cheese in the world, depending on the technique used or the area of production. We will know in detail the production of the quesillo (called Oaxaca type cheese or Oaxaca cheese in other places) you make your own cheese and you will taste some varieties of local cheese, in Etla Valley.
Then we will drive to the cane fields, you will be able to make your own cane juice and taste it, you will know the machine that dates from the 1900s, it is used for the extraction of juice. You will taste the different artisan rums and local cheeses.
per adult from
8 to 9 hours
What's included :
- use of utensils to prepare the quesillo
- Alcoholic Beverages - Rum tasting
- Driver, radio guides, certified guide, traveler's insurance in the unit
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Etla, Etla, Southern Mexico
The production process is complicated and sometimes involves stretching the cheese into long strips and then rolling it into a ball of cheese strings. Smaller rolls of different weights can be made.
The cheese is a dairy derivative that is obtained through a careful manufacturing technique to give it an elastic consistency, which can be molded into a round and braided shape.
The curdled milk is fermented and subjected to high temperatures until it becomes a uniformly elastic cheese that can be stretched to a round shape.
Its preparation requires skill and knowledge, since it presents certain critical points whose control is essential, for example, the adequate acidity of the milk, the acidification of the curd, the determination of the thread point and the kneading of the pasta with hot water. (65º to 70º OC) or malaxado, and then cooling of the strands with water at 4ºC.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Villa de Etla Municipality, Oaxaca, Mexico
Rum is a spirit drink obtained from the alcoholic fermentation and distillation of cane or molasses. This is a thick dark colored liquid product of the crystallization of sugar from the cane. The first step is to collect the sugar cane harvest, this process is known as zafra. Once cut, it must be taken to the distillery within a period of no more than 24 hours; So that you do not lose all its organoleptic properties, that is, all those characteristics that can be perceived with the senses. Sugar cane is not native to this area, it was introduced by the Spanish conquerors after the arrival of Christopher Columbus in 1492.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Jardín Etnobotánico de Oaxaca, Reforma Sur n, RUTA INDEPENDENCIA, Centro, 68000 Oaxaca de Juárez, Oax., Mexico
Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up 15 minutes before the departure of the tour, at the hotel reception or at your home.If you arrive on your own, make an appointment at the main entrance of the Ethnobotanical Garden, Reforma street in the center, Oaxaca.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.