Pumamarca Ruins Trek to Machu Picchu in 2 Days
Pumamarca ruins are about 2.5 hours from the Inca town of Ollantaytambo and it is one of the most popular of the Sacred Valley destinations. The area is very interesting because it is a place where the Spaniards suffered one of their few defeats in a direct confrontation with the Incas. Pumamarca is a fortress built on a steep slope, which was built to control the entrance to the Sacred Valley of the nearby jungle. A steep climb will be rewarded with a beautiful panoramic view and the knowledge that you will be visiting a place known only to a few tourists. After visiting Pumamarca, you'll spend the night in Aguas Calientes and you will get up early to visit Machu Picchu.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional bilingual guide
- Assistant guide (for groups of 9 or more people)
- Private transport from hotel (for groups of less than 9 people)
- 1 box lunch on day 1 to be carried by each tourist
- 1 breakfast in Hotel Aguas Calientes on day 2
- 1 night at 3 star hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Oxygen bottle and first aid equipment
What's excluded :
- Personal porter for the Puma Marca Inca Trail
- Breakfast and dinner on the first day
- Travel insurance - You are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
- Huayna Picchu entrance fee ($65 USD)
- Pair of walking sticks ($6 USD)
- Day 1: Cusco - Ollantaytambo - Pumamarca - Aguas Calientes
Early in the morning (6:00am) you will be picked up from your hotel and driven about one hour and twenty minutes to the village of Ollantaytambo. From there starts the hike to the site of Pumamarca. The hike is about 2.5 hours from Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca. Once outside the crowded tourist center, you’ll find yourself immediately in another world, a world of tranquility, ancient streets with houses built on Inca foundations, courtyards where chicha (corn beer) is being served and where chickens and guinea pigs walk around freely. Thereafter beautiful nature, small farms and splendid Inca terraces will appear on the road; this is a place only few tourists will experience in their lives. On the way, you will stop to enjoy a tasty picnic in beautiful surroundings. Once you get to Puma Marca, you will explore the site with your guide who will tell you about the history of the place. After returning to Ollantaytambo by the ancient trail, you still have time to visit the old village and (if desired) to ascend to another Inca site around Ollantaytambo or explore the market.
From there the train goes to Aguas Calientes, where you will spend the night in a hotel.
Day 2: Machu Picchu - Cusco
On the final day, you will first have breakfast and then take the first bus at 5am to Machu Picchu. A walking tour (approximately 2 hours) is given by your guide and after this you can explore the mysterious city on your own. If you still have energy, you can also climb Huayna Picchu (2,720 m/8,923 ft). It takes 45 minutes to reach the top of Huayna Picchu and you will get a magnificent view over Machu Picchu and its surroundings. You will later meet your guide back in Aguas Calientes (the trip down to Aguas Calientes can be reached by bus or by foot) for lunch (this lunch is not included in the cost of the trek) and to receive your train tickets back to Cusco. If you desire an extra night in Aguas Calientes, it can be arranged. This option is very popular as it allows more time to explore Machu Picchu. You can also go to the thermal springs in the town - a real treat after finishing the tour.
Departure Point :Hotels in Cusco
Departure Time :6:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 10 years
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- What you need to bring
- Original Passport
- Travel Insurance
- Sleeping Bag (can be rented in our office in Cusco)
- Pair of Walking Sticks (can be rented in our office in Cusco)
- Walking Boots
- Waterproof Jacket
- Sun Hat and Gloves
- Sun Protection (SPF 35 or higher)
- Insect Repellent
- Re-usable Water Container
- Water for the First Day
- Toiletries (including toilet paper)
- Personal Medication
- Cash in Local Currency (Peruvian Soles)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.