Provence Private Day Trip in the Footsteps of Peter Mayle from Aix-en-Provence
Walk in the footsteps of English writer Peter Mayle, author of the bestselling book 'A Year in Provence,' on this full-day private tour from Aix-en-Provence through the regional park of Luberon, where he lived and wrote. Discover the villages where he used to stay, admire Provençal landscapes, see markets and cobblestone streets, a get a feel for what life is like in Provence. You'll travel by private vehicle with a guide.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (select hotels only)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Guided tour in villages
- After hotel pickup in Aix-en-Provence, your day tour starts with a drive through Parc Naturel Regional du Luberon, listed by UNESCO as part of the Biosphere Reserve network due to its diverse geological heritage. Your first stop is Lourmarin, a charming village where Mayle lived while he was writing his memoir. Enjoy some free time to explore at your leisure, perhaps visiting the 18th-century castle or the tomb of writer Albert Camus in the cemetery. There is also a market on Fridays.
Next, drive through the hilltop village of Bonnieux, passing by Pont Julien, a Roman bridge, and Lacoste, once home to the Marquis de Sade. On the way, get a look at the Provençal bastide where the TV movie of A Year in Provence was made, and admire lavender fields and cherry and olive trees, which are especially beautiful during the blooming season. Then it's on to Roussillon, a village known for its ocher deposits; you have free time to walk around on your own, perhaps visiting the market (on Thursdays) or wandering the ocher path, a 35-minute walk in an open-air ocher quarry, also known as the 'Provençal Colorado.'
Continue your tour to Gordes, a medieval village where you'll stop for a photo op and free time to see the church, cobbled streets, or castle. Enjoy lunch here independently (own expense) before heading to your last stop, Ménerbes, a village where Mayle stayed for a few months. Here you'll visit a historical private mansion and enjoy a wine tasting of local Luberon wines—red and rosé. Your tour ends as you return to Aix-en-Provence.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Return point: Return to original departure point
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 13 years
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.