PRIVATE TOUR - The Capuchin Crypt and the Domitilla Catacombs
A fascinating guided tour to discover the most interesting Christian Catacombs of Rome and the peculiar Crypt of Capuchins.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Skip-the-Line entrance to the Catacombs and the Crypt of Capuchins
- Guided Tour
- Booking and handling fee
- Guest relations assistance
- Private transport from/to hotel and between sites
- Entry/Admission - Museum and Crypt of Capuchins
- Entry/Admission - Catacombe di Santa Domitilla
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Museum and Crypt of Capuchins, Via Vittorio Veneto 27, 00187 Rome Italy
The Order of Friar Minor Capuchins was established around 1520 by the Franciscan friar Matteo da Bascio, who wanted to go back to the original kind of lifestyle of solitude and penitence as promoted by the founder Saint Francis. The main attraction is definitely the crypt - charnel house decorated with around 4000 Capuchin friars' bones, collected between 1528 and 1870 from the old cemetery of the order of Capuchins, placed in the church of Santa Croce and Bonaventura dei Lucchesi, nearby the Quirinal Palace. The crypt is divided into five small chapels where there are the mummies of some Capuchin friars wearing their typical vests
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Catacombe di Santa Domitilla, Via delle Sette Chiese 282, 00147 Rome Italy
The Catacombs of Domitilla are placed in the ancient praedium Domitillae, according to various literary sources and epigraphic findings. The catacombs owe their name to one of the two Flavia Domitilla of the Flavi’s family, converted to Christianity and therefore victims of persecution. Archaeological excavations conducted in the 20th century, allowed researchers to discover burial grounds dated back to the end of the Republican period (1st century B.C.). The cemetery kept expanding until the end of the Roman Empire, because members of noble Christian families wished to be buried near martyrs' relics. The underground cemetery development dates back to the 2nd – 3rd century. It was originally composed of different burial chambers, later joined into a single catacomb.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We kindly recommend our clients to provinde us with all the information regarding their hotel's address, phone number ...
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.