Private Tour: Full day from Guangzhou visiting Kaiping Diaolou and Chikan Town
Visit Kaiping City to see the UNESCO World Heritage listed Diaolou fortified structures, enjoy visiting the private gardens and homes and explore the watchtowers and buildings in Zilicun Village. After lunch at a local restaurant visit the unique terraced houses along the Tan River at Chikan Ancient Town.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Chinese lunch is served in a local restaurant
- An English-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Round-trip private transfer
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Kaiping Diaolou and Villages
- Entry/Admission - Chikan Building
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kaiping Diaolou and Villages, Kaiping 529300 China
You will be met in the lobby of your Guangzhou hotel at 0800 by your private tour guide and driver. Relax in your air conditioned car as you leave the city for the 2 hour journey to Kaiping City.
The oldest of the villages still preserved in Kaiping City date back to the 14th century with the fortified diaolou dating back to the 16th century. These unique buildings were originally intended to protect the inhabitants from attacks by bandits, although later in the late 19th and early 20th centuries they became more decorative than defensive. The Kaiping Diaolou and Villages were all UNESCO World Heritage Listed in 2007 and there are still over 1,800 good examples of diaolou still remaining around the Kaiping region.
The diaolous are a mixture of Baroque, Romanesque, Islamic and Rococo styles, with very narrow windows and doors providing a good view of the surrounding countryside, each topped by a watchtower. Most are built of stone but some of concrete and although the buildings are very western looking from the outside, inside they are very traditionally Chinese. You will visit several of the diaolou clusters including one of the largest at Zilicun where there are three types of diaolou, those built by a number of families to provide communal protection, individual ones built by rich families and heavily fortified and tall watchtowers.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Chikan Building, Tengwen Village, Jiaodi Island, Chikan Town, Kaiping 529300 China
After lunch at a local restaurant continue your journey to Chikan Ancient Town located on the Tan River, a tributary of the Pearl River. The town started to develop in the 13th century and originally during the Ming Dynasty it was where merchant ships from many countries would come to access the different cities in the region. Later with the development of roads the town became less important as a trading hub.
The impressive aspect of Chikan is the terraced arcades of buildings known as qilou in Chinese. Along the Tan River there are some fine examples of these still remaining from the early 20th century. The style and age of the Chikan buildings and their location on the waterfront has made it a favored location set for movie makers.
From Chikan return to your Guangzhou hotel where your tour ends.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.