Private Tour: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site by Train from Munich
Take a private tour of Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, the first Nazi concentration camp, on a half-day trip from Munich. Led by a certified private guide, the tour covers sites like the camp’s original administration headquarters and the ‘Arbeit macht frei’ gateway. You will not only learn about the history of the camp but also how the victims are remembered today. You'll hear stories about Dachau’s former prisoners and, as the commentary can be tailored to suit you, you'll have the opportunity to learn about the aspects of Dachau that interest you most. The guide will meet you at your centrally located Munich hotel and you will poceed by train to Dachau. All transport costs are covered in the tour price. Please note: children age 13 and under are not allowed to participate in tours of Dachau.
per adult from
4 to 5 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private guide
- Train tickets from Munich to Dachau
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, Pater-Roth-Str. 2A, 85221, Dachau, Bavaria Germany
Meet your guide at Munich Central Station or your centrally located Munich hotel, then take a train to Dachau where a bus will then transport you to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site.
During the Third Reich, Dachau was referred to as the ‘parent camp,’ serving as a training ground for the genocide to follow. A staggering range of persecuted people were sent to Dachau — including communists, German dissidents, gay men, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Jewish people and Polish citizens — upward of 200,000 people were imprisoned here.
Today the camp stands as a memorial site with many of its original features serving as reminders of a time in history that should never be forgotten. Explore the site with your guide, and see the gatehouse with its Arbeit macht frei (Work makes you free) gateway, bunker and the crematorium. You can also visit the administration headquarters and see the rail platform where prisoners once arrived.
As you walk around, listen to your guide give the background on each site, learning about victims and perpetrators whose names were linked to the camp. Heinrich Himmler helped set up Dachau, and used it as a place to train the SS ("black shirts") guards.
If there is something you would like to know more about, simply let your guide know. After exploring the camp, take some free time to browse the museum if you like, and then return by train to Munich Central Station.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Centrally located Munich hotel, at the Munich train station (Hauptbahnhof) or at the Dachau memorial.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Children age 13 and under are not allowed to participate in tours of Dachau
- Please advise at time of booking if you prefer to meet your guide at your centrally located Munich hotel or at Munich train station
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.