Private Tour: Cafe Tour through the Literature and History of Budapest
In the company of a historian, take in the masterpieces of Hungarian architecture from the golden age of 19th and early 20th century café house culture as well as poets, artists and writers who created the most remarkable pieces of Hungarian literature.
per adult from
What's included :
- 3 hour private walk in the company of an art historian through Budapest’s iconic 19th century and early 20th century café houses
What's excluded :
- Price of refreshments, cakes and coffees selected at various cafes
- Our 3 hour walk starts at Vorosmarthy square, in the heart of the city. Our first cafe already gives us a deeper insight into the ambiance of Imperial Budapest. The Gerbaud with its exquisite interior, and more than 100 years of history, served as a central social hub for both tourists and locals during the late 19th century.
From Gerbaud we take the tram by the Danube to the Central Cafe, a space so dignified that it epitomizes what the cafe house culture really meant during the 19th century pinnacle of the Habsburg Empire’s economic and cultural power. The “scenery”, the delicate decor, the delicious meals, the delightful desserts and refreshing drinks give us a full taste of the atmosphere of a bygone culture’s social rituals.
Next (and within walking distance), we move the Museum Café, in operation since 1885. Prominent clientèle were regularly entered in the guest book, now a historical document, including the names of many Members of Parliament, distinguished writers, and famous Hungarian actors. The lavish walls are covered in tiles from the world-famous Zsolnay porcelain works. Another unique feature is the grand 19th century Venetian mirror.
After yet another short walk, we come to the Urania Cafe on Rakoczi street, which houses the oldest Film Theatre in the city, and which is famous for its lectures given by prominent intellectuals before large audiences of Budapest cosmopolitans.
From here we will walk towards Blaha Lujza tér, on the big boulevard to reach our next sight, the elegant New York Cafe, one of the most beautiful Cafe Houses in the world. We end our walking tour sitting down for a coffee and cake in the Muvesz Cafe on Andrassy Boulevard, near the Opera House, hoping to catch a glimpse of the city’s celebrity actors and actresses, who regularly patronize the venue during their rehearsal breaks from the nearby Budapest Broadway.
Departure Point :Budapest, Vörösmarty tér 7, 1051 Hungary
Traveler pickup is offered
Unless hotel pick up has been arranged, please meet your guide 15 minutes before start time at the default meeting point, Café Gerbeaud, Vörösmarty tér 7-8, 1051, Budapest.
Return Detail :Budapest, Hungary
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.