Private Soweto Tour 5 hours approximately from Johannesburg or Pretoria.
Explore South Africa's most famous township with this half-day tour of Soweto from Johannesburg. Join a knowledgeable local guide, born and raised in Soweto, for this unforgettable experience. Get personal insights into the culture of the township and learn about Soweto's vibrant modern personality.
5-hour tour of Soweto from Johannesburg
Visit this famous township with a guide who was born and raised there
See the former homes of Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Learn about the 1976 Soweto Uprising
Meet some of the residents of a Soweto shanty town
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Driver/guide Local guide Hotel drop-off Hotel pickup
- entrance fee to Museums
- professional guide
- round up transportation
- Entry/Admission - Hector Pieterson Museum
What's excluded :
- Soviniar (available for purchase)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hector Pieterson Museum, 8287 Khumalo St, Soweto, Johannesburg South Africa
On this half day tour in Soweto, your guide, who was born and raised in Soweto, will take you past all the hotspots in Soweto. The Soweto tour will take you deep into the township culture, so you can enjoy a personal experience of how vibrant and lively this part of Johannesburg really is.
On our way to Soweto we pass by the National Football Stadium, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the World Cup 2010. We enter the Diepkloof area, where we will take a walk past vendors selling just about anything.
In Orlando West we visit Vilakazi Street- drive past the former home of Nelson Mandela and past the home of Archbishop Desmond Tutu. You will have an opportunity to read about the Soweto uprising on 16 June 1976. On that tragic day an innocent little boy called Hector Pieterson gave up his life and kick-started the liberation of South Africa.
During this Soweto tour we will pass by the Mandela House. A visit into the museum is optional.
We continue our Soweto tour driving into one of the shanty towns where you get to interact with some of the locals.
We drive past the Soweto Campus of the Johannesburg University and end our tour with a stop at the largest hospital in the world: Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Hotels private homes
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.