Private Hong Kong Layover Hiking Tour to Lantau Island
This layover tour begins at the Hong Kong airport which happens to be right next to great hiking trails. Enjoy the perfect full-day hike tailored to your experience level. Get your body moving between flights and see some of the best outdoor attractions of Hong Kong. Have your choice of three different hikes based on your interest or skill-set. This tour pricing is good for up to 4 people, which is perfect for you and your family or friends to get some fresh air at beautiful Lantau Island.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Private tour
- Public transport and taxi where needed
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Lantau Island, where the Hong Kong International Airport is located offers great hiking, unspoiled beaches and great tourist attractions like; the Big Buddha and Tai O Village. Mix and match these ingredients to suit your taste on your layover day. Below are three possible itineraries:
Serious Hiking: Start your hike in the valley behind Tung Chung. The path leads us up to the Ngong Ping plateau, 360 meters (1181 feet) above sea level. Coming up behind the Po Lin monastery gives us a serene view of the Big Buddha emerging behind forest, before entering the more touristic area of the site. There is time to visit the monastery and climb up to the Buddha, admiring the Bodhisattvas and the view over the island.
After lunch, hike over the rolling hills and along the ridge to the highest point, Keung Shan, at 459 meters (1501 feet). The mountain offers splendid uninterrupted views over wild south Lantau to the distant Soko islands.
Heading down, we pass through forest, walk by an old Chinese landscaped garden before descending into a tidal wetland landscape with mangroves and former salt pans. Our hike ends at the picturesque fishing village of Tai O. If time allows we stroll down the streets, lined with traditional shops, selling dried seafood products. The village boasts temples and interesting stilt houses built over the water.
Easy Hiking: For those who prefer not to do any uphill and downhill hiking. Walk along the coast line to the fishing village of Tai O. Visit the village, learn about it's heritage and enjoy some tea at one of the stilt houses on the water.
Shorter hike with time at the beach: Take an easy hike up to the plateau with the Big Buddha, after a visit at the monastery and a stroll through the beautiful Wisdom Path, we descend south, towards the beaches of Lantau Island and spend some time enjoying the long sand strip of unspoiled coast line before heading back to the airport.
Departure Point :Hong Kong International Airport
Departure Time :Depending on your flights arrival time tour times can be adjusted to meet your needs
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Recommended for families with kids above 8 years
- Depending on your flights arrival time tour times can be adjusted to meet your needs
- Please wear comfortable walking/trekking shoes. A hat and sunblock is highly recommended for sunny days. A small backpack is needed for water and personal items
- The summer months (June to September) are very hot and humid in Hong Kong. There may be days when strenuous hiking is not advised, the guide will then suggest alternative options.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.