Private Guided Half-Day Tour in Soweto
During this tour in Soweto, you will be in the melting pot of South African Urban Culture as it has a rich history of the liberation struggle in South Africa, before democracy.
Our professional tour guide will pick up from your accommodation and drop you off at the end of the tour in a comfortable air conditioned vehicle
You will have an opportunity to see various parts of Soweto, how some communities are in need of development and poverty alleviation and, how some communities have turned into smart affluent Suburbs.
This tour gives you insight about Soweto’s different faces. You will be able to buy items of your interest from the flea markets as well.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private pick up and drop off at your address
- Guided tour
- Entrance ticket to Mandela House and Hector Pieterson museum
- Option to browse the flea market selling curios, beaded work and clothing.
- Entry/Admission - Hector Pieterson Museum
- Entry/Admission - Mandela House
What's excluded :
- Meals, drinks and gratuities .Meals and drinks are available for own account.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Diepkloof Hostels, 26°15'32. 27°57'16., 9 3rd Ave, Diepkloof Zone 6, Soweto, 2013, South Africa
Our professional tour guide will pick you up from your address and enter Soweto through Diepkloof Extension and upmarket area built largely for professionals employed by the government and privately employed professionals.The area here is called the " the rich man's acre" by the residents.In response to political instability, the government introduced some reforms, including establishing upper class neighborhood in townships for wealthier people.We stop at Diepkloof hostels and family units.The project of demolishing hostels to be replaced by family units was initiated by the late President Mandela to cater for the poor families and migrant workers from other provinces in South Africa.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Orlando Towers, Soweto, Johannesburg South Africa
From Diepkloof Extension we pass Chris Hani Baragwanath hospital the third largest hospital in the world after the two largest hospitals in China.We stop alongside Johannesburg university Soweto campus for the better view of Orlando towers and for taking pictures.Orlando towers is one of the distinctive landmarks in the neighborhoods of Soweto. The towers were cooling towers for the coal run power station supplying electricity to Johannesburg after the second world war.over 50 years.The station was closed in 1998, and transformed into entertainment and business center in 2008.
The towers are completely covered with brightly coloured murals.One tower depicts scenes and images from Soweto culture and the other one with corporate branding of South Africa's vodacom mobile network.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Hector Pieterson Museum, 8287 Khumalo St, Soweto, Johannesburg South Africa
On our way to Hector Pieterson memorial museum we pass Kliptown squatter camp to share information and for taking pictures. You will experience how some areas in Soweto are still impoverished and need government assistance.
At Hector Pieterson we do the tour of the memorial.
Hector Pieterson memorial museum
depicts the 1976 Soweto Students' Uprisings and the struggle for democracy in South Africa.
The museum interprets the memory, legacy,and history of the 1976 students' uprisings through film, newspapers, personal accounts and photographs.You do the tour of this museum.
We give you time to browse the flea market selling Curios, Beaded work, and African clothing at Hector Pieterson..
You can sit for light lunch at the nearby restaurant. .Alternatively you can have South African buffet lunch at Sakhumzi restaurant in Vilakazi street. Lunch is OPTIONAL
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vilakazi Street, Soweto, Johannesburg 1804 South Africa
From Hector Pieterson memorial we drive to Vilakazi street, the popular attraction in Soweto for both locals and International guests full of vibes.
The houses of the two Nobel Prize winners former president Mandela and Archbishop Emeritus Tutu are situated in this street.
We give you time to walk on this street.You can browse the flea market selling curios, beaded work and African clothing.
Sakhumzi restaurant is situated in Vilakazi street near Mandela House.People come from all over the world to taste the taste the Kasi flavor Buffet lunch.
The restaurant is popular for serving proudly South African traditional cuisine such as Samp combined with beans, Steamed bread, Sour sorghum porridge and maize porridge.Other dishes sold at this restaurant include: Beef stew, Mutton stew, Roasted chicken, Sausages, veggies, assorted salads and desert.
Lunch is optional, you can sit for lunch at this restaurant alternatively you can have light lunch at an alternative restaurant.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Mandela House, 8115 Orlando West Street, Soweto, Johannesburg 1804 South Africa
You do the tour of Mandela House in Vilakazi street.
Mandela lived in this house before his life imprisonment. Nelson Mandela’s former house provides an effective, efficient and meaningful experience to all visitors, informing them of the former President Nelson Mandela's story in the context of his life as a whole, in a manner that promotes Human rights, Democracy, Reconciliation, Mutual respect and tolerance among the people of South Africa.
Mandela House went through major restoration and restructuring project..
You will have time to browse the flea market in Vilakazi street selling curios,Beaded work and African clothing.
Sakhumzi restaurant is serving proudly South African traditional buffet lunch. You can sit for lunch at this restaurant; alternatively you can have light lunch at an alternative restaurant.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up and drop off at your hotel, lodge, guest house around Johannesburg ( including Sandton, Rosebank ,Fourways), O R Tambo International airport,Kempton Park, Boksburg, Alberton, Edenvale, Midrand, Centurion ,Pretoria Airports
- Johannesburg Intl Airport, Johannesburg South Africa
- Lanseria Airport, Lanseria South Africa
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.