Private Full Day tour to Marathon (Battle Tomb, Museum, Schinias beach, Dum)
Marathon is globally known for the starting point of the yearly Marathon run and a region where one of the most historical ancient Greek battles took place 2500 years ago, the significance of which is still being taught in educational institutions worldwide. This tour is family friendly, since it combines the historical & archaeological interest with the joy and the fun of a relaxing day at the beach.
Apart from the beautiful sandy beach of Schinias with crystal clear waters, there is also the National Park (part of the NATURA Network 2000), where the wild life finds refuge, such as foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, rabbits, reptiles, turtles, frogs, 115 bird species with a potential diversity of 215 species while there are threatened species of freshwater fish, amphibians and reptiles.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private Tour
- English Speaking Driver(Not authorized to enter into the sites and museums as per the Greek Law)
- Mercedes Luxury Vehicle
- Mineral water, wet & dry tissues
- Baby seat or booster up on request without extra charge (compulsory to be requested in advance)
- Free Wi-Fi
- All vehicles are thoroughly disinfected after each ride.
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees
- Food & drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entry/Admission - Marathon Tomb
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Museum of Marathon
- Entry/Admission - Marathon Run Museum
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Marathon Tomb, Marathon 190 07 Greece
Start your day with a drive towards the area of Marathon, reputed for the starting point of the yearly Marathon run and a region where one the most historical ancient Greek battles took place 2500 years ago. You will cover a distance of approximately 30 km (19 miles) to the northeast of Athens, an area that borders the Aegean Sea. Visit the Marathon battle tomb site, where you will be guided around the tumulus of the Greek soldiers who were buried there after the end of the successful battle of the Greeks against the Persian troops that attempted invasion of the Greek continent in 490 B.C. Find out more about the details of one of history’s most crucial battles, the significance of which is still being taught in educational institutions worldwide.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Archaeological Museum of Marathon, Vranas, Marathon 190 07 Greece
Continue with a visit of the local archaeological museum that houses an exceptional collection of exhibits including pieces of the war trophy that the Greeks set in the battlefield after their victory, regional pottery and grand statues discovered in an excavation of a local sanctuary dedicated to Egyptian gods. Drive on to the area where the trophy was set by Greek soldiers after their victory, associated to the battle site
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Schinias 190 07, Greece
Continue by car past the Olympic Rowing Center of the 2004 Olympic Games towards the beautiful, long beach of Skinias, where once Persian ships came into the bay carrying soldiers for the battle and nowadays Greeks enjoy windsurfing, swimming and sunbathing.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Marathon Run Museum, Marathonos Ave. & 25th of March str, Marathon 190 07 Greece
Return to the local town of Marathon for a lunch break and a visit of the Marathon Run Museum that displays a large collection of medals, trophies and personal items of Marathon runners. Drive to the starting point of the classical Marathon run that is held in Greece every November, covering a distance of 42.195 km (26,2 miles) between Marathon and Athens.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Marathon Lake, Marathon Greece
Complete the tour by heading towards the reputed local lake of Marathon, with an impressive marble dam constructed in 1929. The lake served as the main supplier of water for Athenian citizens until 1959. You may walk along the dam for a majestic view and enjoy a short coffee break at the local café by the lake. Head back to Athens while following a road through green landscapes till you reach the city again.
Duration: 40 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
For hotels/apartments: The driver will meet you in the lobby of the hotel or outside the apartment.For cruise terminals: The driver will meet you at the arrival's hall inside the cruise terminal, after the passport control and the luggage claim area, holding a label with the name under which the reservation is made.The itinerary’s sequence is subject to change according to the opening-closing hours of the venues and depending on the tourist season.Ports
- Piraeus port, Pireas 185 38, Greece
- Cruise Terminal A Gate 11, Akti Miaouli, Pireas 185 38, Greece
- Pireaus Cruise Ship Terminal "B", Pireas 185 38, Greece
- Cruise Passenger Terminal B (Themistocles), Pireas 185 38, Greece
- Cruise Ship Terminal C, Pireas 185 38, Greece
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 11/1/2020 - 3/31/2021
4/1/2021 - 10/31/2021
Monday - Sunday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
11/1/2021 - 3/31/2022
Monday - Sunday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Monday - Sunday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Stroller accessible
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- After each activity the interior of the vehicle and the luggage compartment are being disinfected. Some amenities (magazines, maps, etc) have been removed from our vehicles. Our drivers are wearing mask and gloves and they have been instructed to avoid handshakes.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.