Private Florence Opera del Duomo Guided Visit
Follow your private guide in the restored "Opera del Duomo" Museum, a unique and spectacular setting where to admire the world's most important collection of medieval and Florentine Renaissance sculptures, together with masterpieces of art by the greatest artists.
per adult from
What's included :
- Earphones for groups of more than 8 participants
- Local professional Guide at your side
- Opera del Duomo Museum entrance ticket
- Entry/Admission - Museo dell'Opera del Duomo
What's excluded :
- Everything not mentioned as Included
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Piazza del Duomo 9, 50122, Florence Italy
The “Opera del Duomo “Museum (Museum of the Works of the Cathedral) is home to an immense collection of 750 sublime works of art created over the centuries to decorate both the inside and outside of the Cathedral, Baptistery and Bell Tower, all housed at the “Opera del Duomo” and set in an enormous, brand new, breathtaking setting. A thrilling experience awaits as you gaze upon the works of Michelangelo, Donatello, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Luca della Robbia, Andrea Pisano, Antonio Pollaiuolo, Andrea Verrocchio, Arnolfo di Cambio, Ghirlandaio and many others.
Your private tour begins in the great exhibition halls of a former theatre, home to the Sala dell’Antica Facciata. The installation here is a reproduction of Piazza del Duomo as it was in the 1300s, with the ancient life-sized façade of Santa Maria del Fiore on one side and, on the other, the three original gates of the Baptistery dominated by groups of sculptures, with the legendary glittering golden gates by Lorenzo Ghiberti, which Michelangelo called the "Gates of Paradise", in the middle. On the monumental Gothic façade are 40 magnificent sculptures, including the one of St. John the Evangelist by Donatello, St. Luke the Evangelist by Nanni di Banco and the Madonna of the Glass Eyes by Arnolfo di Cambio, all set at their original medieval height: a fascinating space that recalls ancient places imbued with powerful spirituality.
You will then proceed to some halls that host two of the Museum's most important masterpieces: the sublime and deeply moving Pietà del Duomo by Michelangelo - in which the face of Nicodemo who holds Christ is thought to be a self-portrait of the artist - and the heart-rending Penitent Magdalene by Donatello.
On the first floor, you will be able to admire, along a lovely illuminated gallery, a surprising series of high-reliefs and 16 statues from Giotto’s Bell Tower, including the famous prophets Jeremy and Abacuc by Donatello.
You will reach then the amazing Sala della Cupola, home to wooden models of the dome dating to the 1400s and the Lanterna by Filippo Brunelleschi and then the Galleria delle Cantorie, amazing sculptures by Donatello and Luca della Robbia.
The last stop of the visit is the Gallery of the Silver Altar, home to the Altar of St. John and the Cross, which contains a fragment of the Christ Cross. Those who desire to do so may go up to the panoramic terrace to get a close-up look at the magnificent Brunelleschi’s Dome, keeping the unforgettable memory of an exceptional emotional experience in the heart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Piazza del Duomo, 50122, Florence Italy
Your visit experience will be further enriched with an unforgettable comprehensive exterior guided tour of the whole Cathedral complex, useful to admire and discover all the monuments making part of the religious center of the city.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Museum of Opera of Saint Maria of Fiore, Piazza del Duomo, 9, 50122 Firenze FI, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Customers can be subject to a body temperature check. If the temperature is more than 37,5 °C, the clients are not allowed to access the Tour or Activity. Quota on the entrance to indoor and outdoor spaces: the access will be restricted in order to maintain the interpersonal distance of 1 mt.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.