Private excursion to Kalabsha Temple The Jewel of Aswan on Lake Nasser
On the banks of Lake Nasser lies Kalabsha Temple, an often overlooked jewel of Aswan. Youregypttours.com Egyptologist guide is waiting to take you on a private tour to the
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Bottled water
- Qualified Egyptologist guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- On the banks of Lake Nasser lies Kalabsha Temple, an often overlooked jewel of Aswan. Youregypttours.com Egyptologist guide is waiting to take you on a private tour to the temple to help you unlock its secrets. For two years from 1961, Kalabsha Temple was dismantled into 15,000 pieces and moved block by block to its current location on the banks of Lake Nasser. It was just one of 18 temples and monuments moved in order to preserve them from the rising Nile water created by the construction of Aswan's High Dam. The temple which is dedicated to the Egyptian god Horus and the Nubian god Mandulis, was originally built just after the Ptolemy period, the era after Alexander the Great's death (323BC). The facade of the temple is undecorated suggesting it was never finish by its original builder, the Roman emperor Octavius Augustus. Despite being unfinished, Kalabsha Temple is considered the most complete, and largest free-standing temple in Nubia. The inner walls feature Egyptian artwork including a carving of St George slaying a dragon and Coptic crosses, showing the influence of Christians who used the temple as a church during the Roman persecution. Another piece of art work which is a feature of the temple is a carving declaring the prohibition of eating pork which is carved in Meroitic. This language remains a mystery to Egyptologists today, with its origin still unknown. Your private tour from Aswan includes a qualified Egyptologist guide, entrance fees and transportation from your Aswan hotel.
Departure Point :Tour departs from Aswan hotels or Port area
Departure Time :9:00am (later departures are available until 1:00pm)
Return Detail :Tour returns to original point of departure
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.